DTWC

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sundance

sundance

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Glad I didn't waste time or money going there last fall. 100 laps of fastest car in the front single lane racing at its worst. I'm not sure dirt track racing translates to TV very well under the best conditions, but if the idea is to get it in front of new people and make new fans, that was a miserable failure. Figure skating would have been more entertaining.

#2 dirtguy200948

dirtguy200948

Race Fan

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Glad I didn't waste time or money going there last fall. 100 laps of fastest car in the front single lane racing at its worst. I'm not sure dirt track racing translates to TV very well under the best conditions, but if the idea is to get it in front of new people and make new fans, that was a miserable failure. Figure skating would have been more entertaining.

I turned it off at lap 20, horrible.

#3 Paul55

Paul55

The MAN!!!

• Members
  • 3,864 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Have to agree it was a boring race!

(TEAM 14g/CAMPING-Paul Duratz)

#4 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

The issue was the Friday rainout and having to run the whole show in 1 day ...you have to understand these guys are all really really good .. It's not like a local show where the winner is a second faster than 10th..

#5 sundance

sundance

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

The issue was the Friday rainout and having to run the whole show in 1 day ...you have to understand these guys are all really really good .. It's not like a local show where the winner is a second faster than 10th..

It looked like Owens was a second faster than 5th to me.

#6 tjtrackrabbit

tjtrackrabbit

Race Fan

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

What channel was this on ?

If you ain't live'n life on the edge, yer taken up to much room.

#7 sundance

sundance

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

SPEED

#8 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

They were running 16 second laps and I didn't see him lap the 5th place car 6 times ...

#9 Skull

Skull

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
  • Interests:I'm interesting

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

That was a sad display, or what generally happens when you have professionals starting up front on a dry/slick track. Another fine example of a time trial show. Too many of these events are the same way. Good thing the Pens/Caps 2009 second round playoff series was shown in it's entirety on the NHL network. I knew the outcome, and it was far more entertaining.

#10 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

That was a sad display, or what generally happens when you have professionals starting up front on a dry/slick track. Another fine example of a time trial show. Too many of these events are the same way. Good thing the Pens/Caps 2009 second round playoff series was shown in it's entirety on the NHL network. I knew the outcome, and it was far more entertaining.

The last 2 DTWC races had the entire show condensed into 1 day , the format wasn't the problem the inclimate weather was the problem

#11 GEARHEAD

GEARHEAD

• Members
  • 5,956 posts
  • Interests:LM Racing and rock/metal music

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

The heats and consis were excellent, it was just too much racing for one day. They made a mistake cancelling Friday night, they could have gotten it in. They pulled the plug way too early on Friday.

#12 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

The heats and consis were excellent, it was just too much racing for one day. They made a mistake cancelling Friday night, they could have gotten it in. They pulled the plug way too early on Friday.

With all due respect your smoking crack if you think we could have raced friday

#13 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Dirt track racing doesn't translate well on t.v. EVER. I like going to locall tracks but on t.v. its boring. Sorry. Be interesting to see how truck series turns out. Straight up-another flaw for middle America is that body styles look nothing like actual cars. Say wat u want but that's why it will never draw t.v. numbers. Another reason is that middle America can relate to driving down an asphalt road and racing as a teen on local highways- none of which has anything to do with dirt. Before u go beating me up-i regularly attend dirt races and enjoy them very much. I would move to see nascar bigboys have one on the points schedule every year

#14 sundance

sundance

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

They were running 16 second laps and I didn't see him lap the 5th place car 6 times ...

I think the 9 or so cautions may have helped keep that from happening.

#15 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I think all of you guys need to man up and bring your ride to events like this and see how tough this stuff really is ...

#16 GEARHEAD

GEARHEAD

• Members
  • 5,956 posts
  • Interests:LM Racing and rock/metal music

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

With all due respect your smoking crack if you think we could have raced friday

I've seen tracks get more rain than that and still race. They could have had the Friday night portion of the show in by 2 AM, it was only time trials and heats for the LM's.

#17 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

I've seen tracks get more rain than that and still race. They could have had the Friday night portion of the show in by 2 AM, it was only time trials and heats for the LM's.

Most fans will not sit soaking wet and freezing cold till 2 am to watch heat races. It rained for 5 hours !!! And the track was soaked and heavy as hell before it even started raining ... Friday at the pittsburgher should have raced Friday at the DTWC absolutely not

Edited by TheLegend, 17 December 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#18 bigred81

bigred81

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Dirt track racing doesn't translate well on t.v. EVER. I like going to locall tracks but on t.v. its boring. Sorry. Be interesting to see how truck series turns out. Straight up-another flaw for middle America is that body styles look nothing like actual cars. Say wat u want but that's why it will never draw t.v. numbers. Another reason is that middle America can relate to driving down an asphalt road and racing as a teen on local highways- none of which has anything to do with dirt. Before u go beating me up-i regularly attend dirt races and enjoy them very much. I would move to see nascar bigboys have one on the points schedule every year

I dont find that true at all. The issue I see with the translation to tv is they are trying so hard to bring an audience in but aren't quite sure how to do that. I believe NASCAR will be succesful at it because they are good at what they do for broadcasting. To make it successful the audience needs to become more involved in what is going on. start broadcasting the raceceiver over the air, talk to the crew cheif and give away their strategy to see how it plays out, if the field gets too spread out throw a caution for debris... and the biggest problem of all, it wasn't a live feed.

#19 D1RT

D1RT

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I dont find that true at all. The issue I see with the translation to tv is they are trying so hard to bring an audience in but aren't quite sure how to do that. I believe NASCAR will be succesful at it because they are good at what they do for broadcasting. To make it successful the audience needs to become more involved in what is going on. start broadcasting the raceceiver over the air, talk to the crew cheif and give away their strategy to see how it plays out, if the field gets too spread out throw a caution for debris... and the biggest problem of all, it wasn't a live feed.

IMO I feel the biggest problem is that other than in our little corner of the racing World most people don't even realize what dirt racing is.
And I feel the reason is there is very little to absolutely no promotion or advertising to draw in interest to people outside the dirt racing community.
Heck it's like pulling teeth getting most local promoters and tracks to do any kind of promotion and advertising outside of a few message boards and websites.
And a lot of them can't/won't even use those free avenues to get the word out.

#20 bigred81

bigred81

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

IMO I feel the biggest problem is that other than in our little corner of the racing World most people don't even realize what dirt racing is.
And I feel the reason is there is very little to absolutely no promotion or advertising to draw in interest to people outside the dirt racing community.
Heck it's like pulling teeth getting most local promoters and tracks to do any kind of promotion and advertising outside of a few message boards and websites.
And a lot of them can't/won't even use those free avenues to get the word out.

good point, I never understood why their title was promoter, maybe its a title that was true before my time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users