Photo

Exciting 2014 planned for Jennerstown Speedway Reopening!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Racefan68x

Racefan68x

• Members
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:dirt racin'

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Posted Image

By: Corey Simmons

The laurel Highlands will once again rumble with the sound of race cars in 2014. The famed half mile, Jennerstown Speedway is reopening, and will once again be the center of Saturday night asphalt racing in southwestern Pennsylvania. This, thanks to three gentleman that couldn't take seeing a historic racetrack with such potential sit dormant and decay any longer.

Who are these three gentlemen? Bryan Smith, Rob Beck, and John Taylor. Bryan, 45, works in a parts department and at a trucking company, and calls Duncansville home. Rob, 42, works in a parts store, and hails from Altoona. John, 39, works at an auto speed shop, and is from Bellwood.

Smith, Beck, and Taylor started the Allegheny Highlands region of the Sports Car Club of America, which holds auto cross events at Jennerstown and Wyotech. During the many events at Jennerstown, the trio would have conversations with the owner, Dave Wheeler. Mr. Wheeler would express how much he wished a deal to bring racing back to the track would come to fruition, rather than watch the once glorious speedway fall apart. After these talks, a deal started to come together.

Smith, Beck, and Taylor are taking on no easy task. Jennerstown has been victim to vandalism, in which wires were ripped out, doors were broken, and windows were busted. After sitting idle for years, nature has tried reclaiming the speedway. It also needs weeds pulled, grass cut, facilities repainted, and other maintenance issues.

The man calling the shots will be Andy Borkowski, as Jennerstown Speedway's Race Director. Andy was selected because of his experience with and understanding of weekly racing, and his innate ability to think outside the box. His love for racing dates back to when he was 14 years old. Him, his brother, and their friends decided to check out the local racing at Jennerstown on a $2.00 night. He was hooked from that moment on, and wanted to be involved in any way possible. He has worked in just about every aspect of racing, from owner to crew chief, spotter to promoter, and anything in between. This gives him the understanding of every side of the business. "I will make Jennerstown fun, fair, and safe. I want every driver that checks in that back gate to feel like they have a chance to win on every given night", said Andy about the new era of Jennerstown Speedway. "Jennerstown will return to being a fun, family thing, and we are all in this together. I really appreciate all ideas, so please call me if you want to talk about anything we can do to enhance the experience at Jennerstown." Andy can be contacted at 814-233-8523 (cell), and 814-443-1122 (home).

An official announcer has not been selected yet; however, Jennerstown will be going with a tandem of race and pit announcers. The pit announcer and track photographer will be Howie Balis. Howie hails from Rostraver, and has announced at numerous tracks like Motordrome, Latrobe, Central Pa Speedway, Roaring Knob, and Jennerstown. When Howie hears the word Jennerstown, he reflects on many incredible races, and seeing up-and-coming NASCAR stars such as Joey Logano and Martin Truex before millions of fans would scream their names every Sunday. When asked about Jennerstown Opening, Howie stated "It's great to see a track reopen with the rich history of Jennerstown, considering the state of the economy as well."

In the traditional Jennerstown fashion, Saturday nights will be alive with weekly racing. The initial plan is to run late models, chargers, street stocks, and 4 cylinders. The season opener is May 10th, and will feature weekly racing, along with the first appearance of the season by the Super Cup Stock Car Series. Jennerstown will also feature special events throughout the season. Some of the events being considered are monster trucks, ISMA supermodifieds, Super Cup Series, tractor pulls, Pittsburgh Circle Track Club Nights, Senior Series, crash cars, skid plate races, and drifting.

Jennerstown will be more than just another business in town. Along with providing some job opportunities, the speedway wants to be the center of the community. In breaking the mold of tracks that sit dark six nights a week, Jennerstown eventually wants to hold events like car cruises, movies, concerts, flea markets, and other fun, family events. Future plans for the speedway include paving the whole infield, and constructing a go kart track. The whole staff at Jennerstown Speedway is committed to bringing circle track racing back to the premier level of success in this new, exciting era.

Jennerstown Speedway

814-629-Race (7223)

jennerstownspeedway@gmail.com

224 Race Street, Jennerstown, Pennsylvania 1554

Posted Image

#2 Dirt54

Dirt54

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • Interests:racing

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Sounds good now they just need Motordrome to open back up to compliment the track.
www.ducts-unlimited.com

#3 sprntr2011

sprntr2011

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Sounds good now they just need Motordrome to open back up to compliment the track.

well motodrome is open,,,,you look good today jennerstown lololol

#4 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Lets hope they get the rules up soon and god please get new officials. Loved the track but the lineup guys and the old Baffoon who drove around telling you to hurry up was annoying. They have great stands...their food used to be almost as good as lernerville just a little less selection. Also having that helicopter fly in was too cool. That place was awesome on a nice Saturday night a few years before close.

#5 dale

dale

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Bring on the ISMA!!

#6 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Are Jennerstown and Motordrome going to join CNB Raceway Park with the new Pro Late Model division?

#7 hemfil

hemfil

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

Are Jennerstown and Motordrome going to join CNB Raceway Park with the new Pro Late Model division?

not if they are smart

#8 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

Congratulations to all theese re-opening pavement tracks! I wish them much success! Just wondering though where all the pavement cars are comming from??? I would entertain a deal where a guy could run his dirtcar at these tracks with minmium changes! Like in the Old days! Run lernerville Friday night ...change tires and run Heidleburg Saturday night! Just a thought!

#9 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

Congratulations to all theese re-opening pavement tracks! I wish them much success! Just wondering though where all the pavement cars are comming from??? I would entertain a deal where a guy could run his dirtcar at these tracks with minmium changes! Like in the Old days! Run lernerville Friday night ...change tires and run Heidleburg Saturday night! Just a thought!

It is going to take a couple seasons to rebuild the car counts, especially at Clearfield. Jennerstown can draw cars that run at Motordrome.

I like the idea of a weekly "crossover" division.

#10 race ace

race ace

race ace

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Interests:dirt track racer

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I wish all these paved tracks a lot of luck and don't take this on a bash against them i know everyone needs a place to race and a lot of paved track drivers and fans won't go near a dirt track because that is just not their cup of tea so to speak as well as a lot of dirt track fans won't go near a asphalt track ,but if you think that fans are going to show up every week for a few years waiting for drivers to build a car you are sadly mistaken , that is what happened to these tracks in the first place no cars equal no fans and saying you are in this for the long haul changes it's look after a few weeks of no profit , these guys who have jennerstown don't sound like they have deep pockets they all either work as parts men or similar jobs and last time i checked parts men don't make 100 thousand dollars a year .good luck guys it seems to me you are going to need it . i remember when jennerstown races were brodcast on t.v. a few years ago i watched them sometimes on saturday mornings and wondered how the place kept it's doors open when there were no fans in the stands .
race ace

#11 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

I wish all these paved tracks a lot of luck and don't take this on a bash against them i know everyone needs a place to race and a lot of paved track drivers and fans won't go near a dirt track because that is just not their cup of tea so to speak as well as a lot of dirt track fans won't go near a asphalt track ,but if you think that fans are going to show up every week for a few years waiting for drivers to build a car you are sadly mistaken , that is what happened to these tracks in the first place no cars equal no fans and saying you are in this for the long haul changes it's look after a few weeks of no profit , these guys who have jennerstown don't sound like they have deep pockets they all either work as parts men or similar jobs and last time i checked parts men don't make 100 thousand dollars a year .good luck guys it seems to me you are going to need it . i remember when jennerstown races were brodcast on t.v. a few years ago i watched them sometimes on saturday mornings and wondered how the place kept it's doors open when there were no fans in the stands .

You're right on several points, but I see Jennerstown being in a totally different situation than Clearfield is. Jennerstown will draw teams that run Motordrome, and Jennerstown has a lot better history of stability than Clearfield has had over the years. The response on facebook alone has been very positive and well received in regards to Jennerstown re-opening. I don't think it will be a amazing success right out of the gate, but I do think Jennerstown is in a better position.

#12 CHEVY1A

CHEVY1A

Race Fan

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

[quote name='race ace' date='Jan 5 2014, 02:51 PM' post='383707']
[/quote
Don't know what they actually paid for it but asking price at one time was 1.5 mil, so they must have some cash/backing.

#13 fordblueoval

fordblueoval

• Members
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I heard that Dave Wheeler is letting them make the payments direct to him as in owner financing arrangement. That would make sense to me. Anyone know if that is true?

#14 scruffy1a

scruffy1a

Racestud Sophistocate

• Members
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

I love how the new logo was designed in PCPaint 1.0.
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users