• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fwig

Fwig

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:49 AM

I feel all memorial races are for great reasons. Family, contributions, dedication, a great person, etc.... Jim Butler was ALL of those plus so much more. Anyone that knew Jim knows everything I'm about to share.

A writer, wrestling guru, photographer, race concessions (t-shirts), and a man that had a gift of gab and would give you the shirt off his back. Jim took me to my first big Late Model race, 1981 Hillbilly 100 at Pennsboro. I couldn't wait until the next Friday, because he said "If you liked this weekend, wait until next weekend". That Friday came, we pack up and head to Eldora for my first World 100. Jim and his family treated me like I was a part of their family. All great people!

Jim was known nationally for his contributions to the Late Model racing across the country. He followed the NDRA, Hav-A-Tampa, Stars, WoO, and several regional series in the northeast. Being involved with series and driver's apparel for over 20 years. Then he started the "PA Mudslinger" annual t-shirt highlighting proven and up and coming Late Model drivers from PA.

Jim and I became very close friends over the years and I can't count the races we went to and how many tracks we went to. What makes Jim so special, every trip we made was full of laughs and memories. Clearfield would not of had Blooomquist show up for the Yankee Doodle in '06 if it weren't for Jim.  

I could go on and on with stories from the past trips and memories with Jim. He was one of a kind, and I doubt that I will ever meet or get to know another person like him. I know Jim would be at McKean this weekend getting all the gossip and more than likely taking the long way home through Salamanca making a stop for a bite to eat. Maybe hit a slot machine for a few hours LOL.

I will be there this weekend, and will be flagging this race on behalf of Jim and his family. It is my honor to do so, he got me started in flagging, and was a dear friend. 

R.I.P. Jim

Sincerely, Mike Frisco        

#2 PennL8Fan

PennL8Fan

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

That's a nice write-up, Mike. I would be hard-pressed to add much more to it though I did get to travel with Jim for two years and quite frankly, those were the best two years of my dirt racing life.

It only seems fitting that you be part of honoring Jim, They got the right man for the right event :)

#3 kip77

kip77

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:sports-racing-Hanging out with my daughters Kaelynn and Lana

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

Nice write-up, Mike.

Motor racing, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports... All the rest are children's games played by adults." Ernest Hemingway

Find me on Facebook: Kip Charles - Clearfield, PA
or Twitter @kip1977

#4 Editor

Editor

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Great words Mike in remembering a man who was passionate about our sport and who loved to interact with its fans. We met Jim back in 1981 at the first DTWC at Pennsboro Speedway and it was always great to talk with him every time are paths crossed. So glad that McKean is honoring him with this race. I sincerely wish my health would have permitted me to attend the races. Dan & Linda Fennell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users