That's all I know.

#3 Tyler Beichner

Tyler Beichner

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

All from Dave Kittey on Facebook...

Copeman Returns To Dog Hollow Victory Lane; Koening Gets First Pure Stock Win; Martin & Pluta Repeat; Nate Smith Gets First in Street Stocks

STRONGSTOWN, PA (May 8, 2015) – Greensburg’s Clate Copeman returned to Dog Hollow Speedway victory lane in the Townsend Gas & Oil Super Lates for the first time in nearly a year. Andrew Koenig of Ruffsdale scored his first-ever win at the track in the AMSOIL Pure Stocks while Nate Smith won his first of the year in the Street Stocks. Joe Martin (Lias Tire CARS Crate Late Models) and Robert Pluta (4 Cylinder Sidewinders) were the only repeat winners.
Mike Altobelli used his pole starting spot in the Townsend Gas & Oil Super Late feature to grabbed the lead as the green flag fell. Altobelli led 12 laps with signs of smoke coming from his car. The driver on the move was 15th starting Quintin Wyandt. Wyandt used the outside rim of the track to take second on lap twelve before exiting out over turn two with a blown motor. Under the yellow Altobelli went pitside after losing oil pressure in his mount. This gave the lead to Dwayne Taneyhill. Taneyhill led two laps when sixth starting Copeman made the winning pass on lap 15. Copeman was then able to hold of Ron Delano, Jr. for his first win since May 23, 2014 after an abbreviated season. Delano settled for second, after starting seventh, over Taneyhill, Mike Blose, Scott Rhodes, Charles Powell, Jr., Joe Petyak, Dan Lee, Joe Zulisky and Ryan Christoff. Blose, Rhodes and Delano were the heat winners.
In the 20-lap Lias Tire CARS Crate Late Models Dennis Bothell led lap one giving way to Joe Martin. Martin lost the lead on a lap three restart to Andrew Satterlee. The duo ran away from the pack with Martin challenging lap after lap. On lap 15 Martin was able to retake the lead and score his second straight feature win. Satterlee, Chris Frank, Brad McGinnis and Corey Neal were the top five. Sixth through tenth went to Mike Laughard, Jeremy Shaffer, Dennis Bothell, Travis Wilson and John Eckenrod. Heat wins went to Neal and Martin.
Ruffsdale’s Andrew Koenig went from his third starting position to lead the first lap of the 15-lap AMSOIL Pure Stock main . Koenig led through four cautions to score his first-ever Dog Hollow win. Koenig beat out David Beahr, Brad Nesline, Ben Krause and Jeff Shaffer, Jr. John Hayes, Mike Benton, Scotty Brown, Bob Helsel and Duke Davidson rounded out the top ten. Beahr and David Lee were the heat winners.
Nate Smith, of Glen Campbell, shot into the lead at the drop of the green in the 15-lap Street Stock feature. Smith lead every lap holding off last week’s winner Ray Hickok, Jr. for his first win of the year. Behind Hickok at the checker was Chris Schneider, Rusty Martz, Matt Hugill, Mike Desch, Andy Burns, Mike Mellot and Dennis Collins. Smith won the lone heat.
Stoystown’s Robert Pluta wasted no time in taking the lead in the 12-lap 4 Cylinder Sidewinders. Pluta started third, but had the lead at the finish of lap one. Pluta battled with his brother Andrew and Eric Boozel for the lead. Pluta held on to score his second in a row over, Andrew Pluta, Jr., Eric Boozel, Jack Theys and Dan Lawery. Sixth through tenth were John Costa, Casey Fleegle, Brady Miller, Josh Frantz and Mike Phillipson. The heats were won by Andrew Pluta, Jr. and Eric Boozel.
The Ladies Powder Puff in the Pure Stocks was won by Colleen Mazey. Mazey has only lost one powder puff race. Terry Davidson, Samantha Buyer, Amanda Shaffer and Becky Nihart were the top five.

Townsend Gas & Oil Super Late Models (24): Clate Copeman, Ron Delano, Jr., Dwayne Taneyhill, Mike Blose, Scott Rhodes, Charles Powell, Jr., Joe Petyak, Dan Lee, Joe Zulisky, Ryan Christoff, Mark Booth, Gene Kain, Ted Gallaher, Ryan Claycomb, John Wayne Weaver, Mike Altobelli, Quintin Weyandt, Levi Sikora, Bobby Watt, Cody Robbins, Devin Lewis, DNS – Scott Alvetro, Shawn Claar, Keith Barbara.
Lias Tire CARS Crate Late Models (20): Joe Martin, Andrew Satterlee, Chris Frank, Brad McGinnis, Corey Neal, Mike Laughard, Jeremy Shaffer, Dennis Bothell, Travis Wilson, John Eckenrod, Ron Smithley, Mike Lauffer, Bryan Benton, Patrick Waugh, Justin Vaughn, Matt Bassaro, Joe Brawley, Joe Moyer, Jeremy Adamik, DNS – John Mazey.
AMSOIL Pure Stocks (18): Andrew Koenig, David Beahr, Brad Nesline, Ben Krause, Jeff Shaffer, Jr., John Hayes, Mike Benton, Scotty Brown, Bob Helsel, Duke Davidson, Chris Wolfe, Chris Dodson, Brad Benton, Curtis Guyer, Brian Ray, Shane Nihart, David Lee, Jason Bender.
Street Stocks (9): Nate Smith, Ray Hickok, Jr., Chris Schneider, Rusty Martz, Matt Hugill, Mike Desch, Andy Burns, Mike Mellot, Dennis Collins.
4 Cylinder Sidewinders (21): Robert Pluta, Andrew Pluta, Jr., Eric Boozel, Jack Theys, Dan Lawery, John Costa, Casey Fleegle, Brady Miller, Josh Frantz, Mike Phillipson, Tim Frantz, Dustin Tolar, Robert Lydic, Dylan Young, Rusty Focht, Wade Roles, Ron Benton, Zack Wissinger, Tim Phillips, Jesse Short, DNS – Mike Potter.

#4 Fastbydesign

Fastbydesign

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

9 street stocks.  That is awesome.  You need to open your rules up more........

#5 D1RT

D1RT

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

9 street stocks.  That is awesome.  You need to open your rules up more........

What more do you want the street stocks to have???

Bert's, quick changes, and dry sumps??? How about a full tube chassis too....

#6 Fastbydesign

Fastbydesign

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

That is what I am saying.  Why don't they just build a late model.

#7 bobvogtjr30

bobvogtjr30

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

IMO the worst thing they did for this class was to put them on the big LM tires. Every track ss count is way down

#8 race ace

race ace

race ace

• Members
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:dirt track racer

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

the death of the street stock class came when they opened up the rules and started allowing 3 link suspension , triple disc clutches and bert transmissions ,this class was fine the way it was and i talked to Louie at Hummingbird about this happening  and we were going to have a meeting with guys after that race season but was cancelled because it was going to become a all out fight instead of a meeting . late model tires can be bought used for 30 dollars a piece so tires are not the problem .all i know if we the car owner / drivers  don't  come up with a solution soon this class is toast .i have a set of rules made up to include the classic street stocks with the current pure stocks what includes a weight break and a bonus in pay if a pure stock wins the feature  but you know not one person has asked to see these rules .i say run a 358 class with 2 barrell carbs no berts or triple disc clutches and you  have your cars back.

race ace

#9 bobvogtjr30

bobvogtjr30

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

yes used tires are $30 but I will pretty much most of the front running cars have new tires on! Its not so much the cost as it is the bigger tires allo the bigger motors to work better. Big difference try to hook up a 8" hard tire and a 2 bbl compared to an open late model tire with an open 4 bbl. Look at stateline for example they had 2 ss features a night about 5 yrs ago. Every said be like everyone else and go to late model tires and they did, they are down to about 12 cars weekly! I understand they are down everywhere bt it is getting way out of control.

#10 Street Stocker

Street Stocker

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

We got out of the class several years ago.   If we wanted to race all that stuff, we would have bought an E-mod.

Look at some of the rules now like Sharon.  There are only a few motor restrictions.   Those tracks up north like Stateline have always been wide open motors, even when they were on small tires.   A lot of guys have gotten out of the class, moved to crate or steel block, or just quit.  No one new coming into it really.

#11 D1RT

D1RT

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

yes used tires are $30 but I will pretty much most of the front running cars have new tires on! Its not so much the cost as it is the bigger tires allo the bigger motors to work better. Big difference try to hook up a 8" hard tire and a 2 bbl compared to an open late model tire with an open 4 bbl. Look at stateline for example they had 2 ss features a night about 5 yrs ago. Every said be like everyone else and go to late model tires and they did, they are down to about 12 cars weekly! I understand they are down everywhere bt it is getting way out of control.

Since 2014 and so far in 2015 Lernerville has run 17 regular weekly shows and the street stock average for cars starting the feature is 22.5 cars per week. A low of 19 and a high of 25 cars starting the feature.

They use LM tires and 4bbl's.

#12 Street Stocker

Street Stocker

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

The wide tires actually give more control, make for less spin outs and wrecks so probably save what they cost in that aspect.

Lernerville actually has rules on the class.   They are not allowing this wide open stuff from Sharon, Eriez-Stateline and Clearfield other than special events.  And even then they penalize those cars with weight so the Lernerville cars can still run with them.

#13 bobvogtjr30

bobvogtjr30

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

Lernerville is the exception. They allow the crate engines and have made them competitive. I applaud them for trying something different. We will see how that goes when they make them mandatory which I don't agree with. I still believe if they went with a small hard tire you would have a lot more of them. Look at the car count at MC SS only@ 10, where there is usually@ 20 pure stocks

#14 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer & gas/oil collectibles

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

One thing most of you are missing is that if you live within an hour of Lernerville, want to race there, but don't have the money to race a Sprint Car, Late Model or big block Modified, you race in the Sportsman class. You only have that ONE choice   But if you live elsewhere your closest track has 4-5 "support classes" you can race in.  Pure Socks, Mini-stocks, Mod Lites, Micro Sprints, or if you have a bit more $$$ Crate Late Models or E-Mods.   It isn't the car specs at Lernerville that make their Stock Car class much stronger than other tracks, it is the fact the drivers only have ONE choice, not 3-4.  When there are numerous choices, it splits up to pool of possible drivers/cars in to several different classes.  Most support class drivers live within an hour of where they race and are not towing several hours to race like some top class drivers do.  Granted I am not a driver or car owner, but as a fan of over 65 years I can read the handwriting on the wall.   Cut down the number of classes at area tracks and the car counts per class will go up!!  When I was a kid there was only ONE class.   Cut down the number of classes and the car counts in the remaining classes will go up!!   I think Stateline is now running 7 classes and several have 6. And all have just ONE top class, Sprints, Late Models or Modifieds!!   Enough is enough!!

GOOD RACING TO ALL!!!

Walt 

#15 714d

714d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

Nailed it Walt. You can't compare lernerville to other tracks in the area. I love races at pretty much all the central and western pa tracks, but none have the same show as lernerville. Most have one decent headliner and however many back gate classes it takes to get 100 cars in the pits. I've always thought 3 classes would be about perfect at most local tracks. Keep it short and family friendly and people will get a car to fit what you are running.

#16 Fwig

Fwig

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

Walt I vote your post for the best post of the year. Let's hope the promoters read it. 

#17 Skull

Skull

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
  • Interests:I'm interesting

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

Great post, Walt.

#18 Street Stocker

Street Stocker

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

Walt has a good point, but I still think if Lernerville's rules were as wide open as some of these other tracks, their fields would be shorter.  Someone mentioned Marion Center only having 10 cars.  They have the most wide open rules of any track in this class!    We definitely have too many classes in this area!  I count at least 14!

410 Sprints

Big Block Mods

Super Late Models

Limited Late Models

Crate Late Models

E-mods

Economy Mods

Crate Sportsman Mods

Street Stocks

Pure Stocks

4-Cylinders

305 Sprints

RaceSaver Sprints

Mod-Lites

Several of these classes are redundant.  Limited Lates & Crate Lates, E-mods & Economy Mods  (wasn't the E in E-mod supposed to stand for Economy?!), 305 Sprints and RaceSaver Sprints, Pure Stocks wouldn't have been necessary if they had kept good rules on the Street Stocks.  Lernerville is proposing a new class of Street Stocks.  All crate!  We don't need any more classes!

Edited by Street Stocker, 14 May 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#19 race ace

race ace

race ace

• Members
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:dirt track racer

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

i think a hard set of tires would work and also a two barrell carb maybe the answer but there needs to be a suspension rule also and maybe a shock package i have talked to quite a few racers who are tired  of keeping up with the jones's. here is what  i am saying if we as racers can't come up with a solution we all can live with this class is going to go away .we ran a race at Clearfield in 2008 and had two classes .....street stock and latemodels and had so many cars that we had to run consy's and they pitted the cars on the outside of the track. not to argue with walt on this because i respect him and all his knowledge but if these tracks around here are catering to the cars they are getting then they  are losing the small time racer who is just racing for fun.we need to fix this now.

race ace

#20 DaleJr.Fan8

DaleJr.Fan8

Racing critic

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Fishing, Football.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

If you want an "affordable" and competitive stock car class all you have to do is look to the west. IMCA has an extremely competitive stock car class that are still what many define as stock cars. Full frame chassis on ford 9 inch rears, disc brakes, steel wheels, steel stock appearing bodies, and hard tires. Great racing week in and week out in that division.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users