• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cats442

cats442

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:golf/racing/sports

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

Just curious.  What does/has drivers earned driving for someone else?  I have heard some work on a percentage.

#2 coconut

coconut

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

I heard 25% . up to half . if they are good

#3 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer & gas/oil collectibles

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Years ago it was most often a 40-60% split in favor of the owner, but could be 50-50 if the driver was really good.  The high costs of racing have forced most car owners out of the sport so that today most cars are owned by the driver or someone in his family.  Martha Dionese and Jim Chapel are about the only car owners still active in local Sprint Car racing and the Modifieds are about the same. 

Walt

#4 BaconBits

BaconBits

Light heavyweight champion of my house

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  • Interests:Medium pimping.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

I crewed on a team back in the 90's where the driver got 70%.

Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

#5 cats442

cats442

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:golf/racing/sports

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the feed back.  I bet back in the day, Bob Wearing and Blackie Watt did pretty well doing double duty some nights.

#6 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

It was reported Hemi Joe Pitkavich and Blackie had a 70/30 split. Garage talk at there shop. It was also said that Joe said if Blackie wanted more he would put somebody else in the car. I never believed that.

Maybe Walt can answer this one. Did anyone ever drive the #1 mod other than Blackie ?

Boy did people hate him in the day. He was almost unbeatable in that car.

#7 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer & gas/oil collectibles

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

Not that I can remember!!    Dick Hecker drove for Pitkavish before Blackie, but that was before the #1!!   In fact the famed Hemi-coupe was actually #88 when they first took it to Langhorne in the late 60s.    I have a photo of it as #88.

GOOD RACING!!!

Walt 

#8 DavyLee2

DavyLee2

• Members
  • 3,369 posts
  • Interests:racing/music/billiards

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

Don Luffy told me at an ole timers dinner that he raced 4 and 5 times per week and would make usually around $90 cash as his split for driving . I thought to myself that's dam good money in the 50's and 60's

#9 RocketChassis#1

RocketChassis#1

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Today, a lot don't get paid at all. Some may even pay the owner to drive, (maybe by bringing a motor or other equipment with them). I thought the going rate for many years was 30%. Today while there still are some "helmet bag" drivers, (ones who just show up at the track with there helmets and drive), anymore most work on the cars and help out during the week.

#10 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

Good point rocket... I actually new of 2 guys that had drivers paying them to drive. 1 driver brought his motor and pd for tires. Semi late. The other pd. for pit passes, total of 4, and all fuel. Including tow rig. His deal sucked because if he wrecked it he had to buy the parts. He wised up about the second year and got out. Old time Late Model. They towed to windber every week.

#11 rsadiedog

rsadiedog

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

I had a ride for a few years where I owned and maintained the engine, car was owned and maintained by owner. He paid my way and all other bills and kept all the winnings, except for when we finished 1st, we split it. I was happy with it and would do it again.

Nick Loffredo

#12 jake shady

jake shady

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

i had a deal with the 33 late model team, i did all the labor on the car and collected %100 pay.   i had a deal with sam ray and was paid 600 per week to work on the car but no pay split.   basically i found out wrenching 40-60 hrs and spending all weekend racing another 20 hrs sucked.  Kissing Asses and wrenching for people was not  the way. i would sooner fit my own budget and do my own thing.   !!if somebody pays the entire bill for racing and you dont have to wrench the ride,,, do it for free and be lucky it happened.! 

#13 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

deleted 

Edited by dirtstudent2, 15 February 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#14 Cool1

Cool1

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Racin

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

You should be.

#15 bmb18

bmb18

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 112 posts