• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 DegenerationX

DegenerationX

Race Fan

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

No disrespect, but I don't see Matus, Spithaler and Garvin making the full All Star tour.  It sounds like a great plan and they could do the Shark Racing deal of learning as you go, but it takes deep pockets and lots of sponsor money to make that happen.  Wish them the best, but I'd be surprised if they aren't off the tour by the Silver Cup.

It is concerning that three of the top guns are heading to the road, but we've been down that road before; thinking mid 90s when Tim Shaffer, Dale Blaney, Jimmy Hawley, Rod George and Ed Lynch Jr. all stretched their wings and hit the road in some way, shape or form.

Drivers always fill those voids.  

Sodeman's work schedule makes it difficult for him to get to Lernerville some Friday nights, so I think he'll be around to defend.

I believe AJ Flick's sponsors want him to run local/Lernerville on Friday Nights, but he does love Port Royal, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jo is right.

Veterans Dan Shetler and Dan Kuriger know how to win races.  

Third generation drivers Sye Lynch and Adam Kekich are candidates to fill that talent void.

Any chance Jimmy Seger and Lockhart run Lernerville weekly?

Darin Gallagher will surprise some people if he's stepping into the 410 ranks full time and hopefully Zack Morrow, Clay Riney and George Hobaugh can take the next step in their development. It's a shame Alex Paden sold all of his stuff, he showed flashes of brilliance last year.

It's also a shame Turkey won't be back in a car this year, but it's refreshing to see a young man prioritize his health and family to his passion.

It will be great to have Rod George back, hopefully it's weekly, but I think Ed Lynch Jr. is done.

At the moment, Danny Holtgraver is without a major ride and does plan to run special events close to home, but I doubt other than an opening night shakedown for the All Star race you'll see him much at Lernerville.  If he wins the first couple races, he may continue to run weekly, but for the money they have in their equipment, I doubt they run weekly for $1,300.

Rumor has it, a top driver from another division may be dabbling in sprint cars this year, maybe even running full time double duty, but we'll see if there's any truth to that rumor.  If it's true, you'll know who it is right away.  If not, then I know at least one more person is full of . . . 

Is it opening night yet?  Still plenty of talent in the division, it will be fun to watch who rises to the challenge!

Sodeman's work schedule makes it difficult for him to get to Lernerville some Friday nights, so I think he'll be around to defend.

Edited by DegenerationX, 30 January 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#22 lrnvlFan1w

lrnvlFan1w

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Racing, hockey, mini trucks

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

I also have seen hints to a Pete Miller return in Sprints.  Not sure if anything is confirmed yet.  He was exciting to watch when he did race.

You definitely cannot count out Kuriger or Shetler as they know where victory lane is.

Time will tell how the guys venturing abroad will do.  I wish them well it's kind of cool to see drivers you watched grow wings get spread out and try the road and you have to wish them well.

#23 pudnats

pudnats

Race Fan

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hearing Lipinski is putting his power plant in a one of the Rankins old cars to run weekly.

Somethings just seem backwards.

#24 honeybadger1

honeybadger1

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

Interesting topic...Pete Miller is a karting buddy of mine from a little while back.  I'll see if he's building a car in the shop or not..

#25 honeybadger1

honeybadger1

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Pete Miller isn't racing next year, too tied up with work.  Funny thing is he said he has gotten several calls asking him if he was running this year so who knows where the rumors come from.

#26 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

I would think Mike Bauer will also be there most weeks

#27 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Pete Miller isn't racing next year, too tied up with work.  Funny thing is he said he has gotten several calls asking him if he was running this year so who knows where the rumors come from.

He posted on facebook he was going to race in 2017. So he started them himself.

Edited by Sparkler, 31 January 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#28 lrnvlFan1w

lrnvlFan1w

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Racing, hockey, mini trucks

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

So who challenges Sodeman and Flick for the Championship?

Is Sye Lynch running the full season?

Kuriger or Shelter make a run at it?

George or Good?

#29 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

Running for any pts. title, there is guys a lernerville that have the equipment and talent to do so. The one factor all of the racers can not foresee is luck, because you definitely have to have it. If A.J. decides to run Port Royal on Saturday nights, that place is bad fast and 1 mishap can turn your equipment into a pile of scrap. I believe he can and will be able to run with those guys. It's his next step, and I believe it's the right move. Following the All-Star circuit, Why ? The 2L used to run the local All-Star and WoO races. I think he had a dam good career.  

#30 pudnats

pudnats

Race Fan

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

So who is the rumored top driver that may run a sprint car this year???  Bolland? lol  I am guessing Alex

Somethings just seem backwards.

#31 bhhracing

bhhracing

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Heard Bolland got a late model!!! :rolleyes: :P :rolleyes:

#32 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

Out East is the best deal.  

You can race 3+ times a week for decent payout and not have the travel expense.  

#33 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer & gas/oil collectibles

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

True, but you had best be good and a lot of $$$ in your car!!!

Walt

#34 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

Very few owner/drivers in central PA

#35 baldtireman

baldtireman

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Race cars,pretty ladies,toys nice dinners,old movies,Tacky race tracks!!

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

So who is the rumored top driver that may run a sprint car this year???  Bolland? lol  I am guessing Alex

I would love to see John Flinner,Jr. run a winged sprinter...

#36 D1RT

D1RT

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

I would love to see John Flinner,Jr. run a winged sprinter...

LMAO!! The carnage would be of epic proportions!!

Though it would be a financial boon to area chassis and parts suppliers.... ;)

#37 greencar55

greencar55

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

you don't win 5 championships without epic driving skills. I think he would surprise a lot of people in a sprint

#38 Alwayracing

Alwayracing

Cool Newbie

• Member Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

There is a lot of talent in the sprint cars.  I wouldn't count out anyone.    Shetler, Kurieger, Lynch, Bauer, Hobaugh are just a few that have some great speed.  I am sure that Flick and Sodeman hope to come back as strong as last year to give those guys a run for the money.  Gallagher is trying to get 410 stuff together but needs to get rid of his 305 equipment.  He drives one of Sodeman's cars once in a while and does okay..  As for the Matus's, Garvin and Spithaler going All Star racing, Best of luck!  They will learn a ton this year going from track to track.  Sometimes a change of scenery is good for everyone...  In all of the divisions the car drivers and owners put a lot of time and money into getting better and putting on a show for the fans!  But they wouldn't have it any other way!  Don't criticize the drivers for branching out!  Encourage them!  It makes for much better racing in our area as well! 

#39 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

There is a lot of talent in the sprint cars.  I wouldn't count out anyone.    Shetler, Kurieger, Lynch, Bauer, Hobaugh are just a few that have some great speed.  I am sure that Flick and Sodeman hope to come back as strong as last year to give those guys a run for the money.  Gallagher is trying to get 410 stuff together but needs to get rid of his 305 equipment.  He drives one of Sodeman's cars once in a while and does okay..  As for the Matus's, Garvin and Spithaler going All Star racing, Best of luck!  They will learn a ton this year going from track to track.  Sometimes a change of scenery is good for everyone...  In all of the divisions the car drivers and owners put a lot of time and money into getting better and putting on a show for the fans!  But they wouldn't have it any other way!  Don't criticize the drivers for branching out!  Encourage them!  It makes for much better racing in our area as well! 

I'd love to see Western PA become to the All Stars what Central PA has been to WoO, and I'd love to see Tony take the All Stars up a notch and displace Dirt Mega Corp Inc as the premier sprint tour.  I think the All Stars are a better show now.  

I think that our drivers have it in them, although I'm not so sure about Garvin.  He doesn't drive as smart as Sr. did, to put it nicely.  

Edited by FanJim24, 18 February 2017 - 05:16 PM.

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#40 DegenerationX

DegenerationX

Race Fan

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

I'd love to see Western PA become to the All Stars what Central PA has been to WoO, and I'd love to see Tony take the All Stars up a notch and displace Dirt Mega Corp Inc as the premier sprint tour.  I think the All Stars are a better show now.  

I think that our drivers have it in them, although I'm not so sure about Garvin.  He doesn't drive as smart as Sr. did, to put it nicely.  

What have you been watching?  Sure he had some transgressions when he was younger, but he was a model of smart and consistent last year.  He never seemed to run up front, but at the checkered flag he was always still on the track and usually in the top 5 or 10.

Make no mistake, if they stay on the All Star tour, they will take some lumps, but it's their time and money.  They're making a dream a reality.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users