602 sprint car motor

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 fordblueoval

fordblueoval

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

price for a sprint car version of this motor is $7850 and a regular 602 sells for $3200 so how can it cost $4600 more for a few parts to make it work in a sprint?   this is NOT the way to start a new division.  i have bought used crate motors for as low as $900 and then had them resealed so this huge increase in price can not be justified.  i suggest every one should wait to see how this all shakes out.

#2 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:38 PM

Let's hope more see what's going on ...

#3 brad hibbard

brad hibbard

• Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hold On ---Let's not get off on the wrong foot here

the basic 602 is still the basic 602 with exactly the same pricing

things that "CAN" be added for sprint application----

cam drilling for using rear mounted pumps

oil pan swap to a 604 oil pan for better ground clearance (permitted in most applications) (Not sure about RUSH yet)

and then there are specific bolt on components that work well with this application like the throttle plate linkage and drive hub assemblies

also water neck etc. etc.

just like any other application you start with a base and build it to what you need

a dressed out IMCA 602 can go as high as $9000---please notice I said "can go"

there are guys competing with $5000 packages ---no argument there but a guy that has nothing and can't do any of the work himself and wants top shelf components will have a invoice much higher than the guy that hits the swap meets and pieces stuff together

please compare apples to apples-----602 is still a 602

Brad

www.race-1.com

#4 greencar55

greencar55

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

crate motors are for TRUCKS!

#5 greencar55

greencar55

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

a 602 sprint car race would be like watching kids at kennywood on the turnpike ride. just put Briggs & Stratton's in them it would be cheaper & just as boring.

#6 Dandyjr19

Dandyjr19

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

If they keep the wings off em. And keep the tire co.money out of it with the hardest possible tire it could be fun. And I am NOT a sprint car or crate fan

#7 Cool1

Cool1

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Racin

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

I still don't understand why, with 305's, racesaver's, 360's, 410's, we need a "crate" class? C'mon people this is just to sell more 602's and increase someone's commissions.

#8 Crusty1

Crusty1

Race Fan

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

A fully dresses 602 at $9,000.00 is far less than a fully dressed Gressman 305 at $20,000.00. Besides I don't see anywhere they are running those classes wingless.

#9 scruffy1a

scruffy1a

Racestud Sophistocate

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

crate motors are for TRUCKS!

I like your enthusiasm, but I think there are enough crate divisions already without adding crate trucks.

If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck.

#10 polish2

polish2

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:sprint car racing

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Hold On ---Let's not get off on the wrong foot here

the basic 602 is still the basic 602 with exactly the same pricing

things that "CAN" be added for sprint application----

cam drilling for using rear mounted pumps

oil pan swap to a 604 oil pan for better ground clearance (permitted in most applications) (Not sure about RUSH yet)

and then there are specific bolt on components that work well with this application like the throttle plate linkage and drive hub assemblies

also water neck etc. etc.

just like any other application you start with a base and build it to what you need

a dressed out IMCA 602 can go as high as $9000---please notice I said "can go"

there are guys competing with $5000 packages ---no argument there but a guy that has nothing and can't do any of the work himself and wants top shelf components will have a invoice much higher than the guy that hits the swap meets and pieces stuff together

please compare apples to apples-----602 is still a 602

Brad

www.race-1.com

http://race-1.com/c-...nt-engines.html Taken of the advertisement on the home page. They don't look cheep. Can't believe RUSH is infecting another division in western Pa. Jacob Gamola is starting a 305 tour in western Pa. that other areas of the country run the same equipment. It is a proven class that works, why would we put another division out there that is unique to our area? Wish Scott would have put his money into this venture with winged cars and not the non winged Rush class. Jake hope your series is a success, I applaud your effort. JMO

#11 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer & gas/oil collectibles

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Since this is a year away, all the 305 guys have plenty of time to think about it before 2018!!!  It will be interesting to see how this plays out!!

Walt

#12 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Ok, so I am a 305 racer, I have a greesman that is said cost 20K. Again a new class of car that is going to cost a competitor x amount of $$$. Brad made the comment you can get a motor for 5k.

#1. Do you not still have to add the accessories to this motor for sprint car competition ?
#2. What do I now do with that 20K Greesman ?

Yea divide the sprint cars now. Brilliant idea.

#13 bomber315

bomber315

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

speaking of jacob gamola's 305 series... how many guys have switched out their OSW parts for racesaver stuff? show of hands....

#14 blue by you

blue by you

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Ok, so I am a 305 racer, I have a greesman that is said cost 20K. Again a new class of car that is going to cost a competitor x amount of $$$. Brad made the comment you can get a motor for 5k.

#1. Do you not still have to add the accessories to this motor for sprint car competition ?
#2. What do I now do with that 20K Greesman ?

Yea divide the sprint cars now. Brilliant idea.

well you hang that 20k greesman on an engine stand an start over with miss rush.

#15 Hot Dog

Hot Dog

• Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

A $20k Gressman you put together to race for $400 bucks to win. I know competitive 410s that don't spend anywhere near that.

Edited by Hot Dog, 14 February 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#16 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

20k is cheap for a Gressman. He quoted me $25k...

#17 Chris Sylvester

Chris Sylvester

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

There is a few tracks that run the crate sprint in Wisconsin the IRA series started the WingLess class with around 15+ cars...and Plymouth Indiana runs them as well 8-10 cars first season...also UMP has the pro sprints..I do agree sprints in the area are pretty diluted...between crate,outlaw/racesaver/305, 358,360 and 410 classes and the multiple classes of mods, late models, stocks and support classes, is there room to add another weekly class anywhere

#18 rob0170

rob0170

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

A fully dresses 602 at $9,000.00 is far less than a fully dressed Gressman 305 at $20,000.00. Besides I don't see anywhere they are running those classes wingless.

I think they tried to run these cars in New York and only got about 9 or 10 in 2 years and dropped the class and the drivers can't give the motors away 

#19 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

First off. Anyone paying 20+ for a 305 is insane. I just watched the sportsman mod race at Oswego. It was on Speedsport TV. They had quite a few cars, this was part of super dirt week. Again, great class for guys getting into mods. Same as late models here. But why does RUSH want to take over every division out there ? Upstate New York, Canada, Modified country. They are keeping it within there class. They are not saturating every class out there. Makes absolutely no sense, and o by the way. I watched the big block mods, the 358 mods, and then the crate mods. The crate mods looked like, in fact they were, slot cars. slow slot cars. The announcers kept saying about the only difference is what is bolted between the pipes. They forgot about the cost of that same car, minus motor, and the biggest thing they forgot is the payouts are ridiculously low. People talk about SLM payouts around here. Well what about crate payouts, there worse and you dam near have as much in the roller as a SLM. This garbage is going to kill racing as we no it.   

#20 Cool1

Cool1

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Racin

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

Yep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users