• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 march66

march66

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

yes 20j- just hard at it with no one giving an inch! that's crate racing! this is not the way it was for so many years, sad to say.

#22 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

Didn't look like either driver did anything intentional. Did they actually black flag the 20j and make him pull off? I also have no idea what 24's problem with Joe was in that incident.

Not so much the 66 this time, but that the 20j got sent to the back too. I was wrong this time about what the 66 did. I apologize for thinking that any contact was intentional in this instance. My usual problem with the 66 is that he does initiate contact quite often. My problem here is that if it had been the other way around, historically anyway, only the car(s) that the caution was for would have gone to the back. The 20j continued on, without stopping and him being moved back seemed to be punative. Anyway, too much time has been spent on this. I just think that the finish would have been more interesting with Jimmy in the mix up front. Now on to this week...

Edited by FanJim24, 24 April 2017 - 06:56 AM.

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#23 scruffy1a

scruffy1a

Racestud Sophistocate

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

Not so much the 66 this time, but that the 20j got sent to the back too. I was wrong this time about what the 66 did. I apologize for thinking that any contact was intentional in this instance. My usual problem with the 66 is that he does initiate contact quite often. My problem here is that if it had been the other way around, historically anyway, only the car(s) that the caution was for would have gone to the back. The 20j continued on, without stopping and him being moved back seemed to be punative. Anyway, too much time has been spent on this. I just think that the finish would have been more interesting with Jimmy in the mix up front. Now on to this week...

Video of the incident changed your mind, but you're still convinced that 66 is a bad guy.  Maybe if you had video of other incidents you "remember" you'd have changed your tune on those as well? 

It was opening night.  Maybe they're trying to set a precedent.  Like 66 said, in "crate racing" you can't lift.  Maybe by penalizing for contact (intentional or otherwise) that results in a yellow, Lernerville is trying to send the message that you need to lift.  Maybe, just like you did, the flagman made a mistake.  There are endless couldas, shouldas, and wouldas we can discuss.  Have fun booing Kelley this week!

If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck.

#24 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

Video of the incident changed your mind, but you're still convinced that 66 is a bad guy.  Maybe if you had video of other incidents you "remember" you'd have changed your tune on those as well? 

It was opening night.  Maybe they're trying to set a precedent.  Like 66 said, in "crate racing" you can't lift.  Maybe by penalizing for contact (intentional or otherwise) that results in a yellow, Lernerville is trying to send the message that you need to lift.  Maybe, just like you did, the flagman made a mistake.  There are endless couldas, shouldas, and wouldas we can discuss.  Have fun booing Kelley this week!

Mostly good points. I didn't see the video. I listened to the drivers. I've seen other video, and talked to people involved with the division. The 66 has started wrecks and spun cars in the past. The 66 has assaulted at least one driver for literally pushing back a little. Maybe he's cleaned up his act, maybe he hasn't. He knows what I think of his driving and of his reputation. I doubt he'll lose a second's sleep over it, and rightly so. I am honestly glad that the 66 and the 20J responded here. It educated me. That's a good thing. 

Edited by FanJim24, 25 April 2017 - 06:51 AM.

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#25 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:00 AM

BTW, that's what a discussion forum is supposed to do, and conflict can lead to education. I think that this has been productive, at least for me. My opinion of the 66 hasn't completely changed, but it may have softened a bit, and could change. 

#26 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

I've never driven a racecar. I was in 5th grade the last time my dad did, I've wanted to race my whole life, but feeding my family was more important. I admire those who have been able to do both. Discussions like this are how I find out how much I don't really know. 

#27 blue by you

blue by you

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

that is what these 604 motors have caused. everbodys jamed together side by side. the field never spreads out.an cars get tore up.you can thank miss rush for that.

#28 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

Fan jim. Take the time to understand what Joe Kelley said. The rule makers are creating the racing you see. Crate racing takes a driver that can keep his foot in it and maneuver. If you lose momentum in crate racing your losing spots. Unfortunately all the drivers understand that and it becomes a testosterone battle of the same spot on the racetrack. That's what makes the 33 so good. He gets up on that hi line and rim rides around everyone. The kid is mister consistent up on the top of the track.

#29 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Fan jim. Take the time to understand what Joe Kelley said. The rule makers are creating the racing you see. Crate racing takes a driver that can keep his foot in it and maneuver. If you lose momentum in crate racing your losing spots. Unfortunately all the drivers understand that and it becomes a testosterone battle of the same spot on the racetrack. That's what makes the 33 so good. He gets up on that hi line and rim rides around everyone. The kid is mister consistent up on the top of the track.

I do understand what you are saying. It's why I don't like crate racing. But the 33 has been good since before he ran a crate motor and since before he knew how to setup a car. The 66 was known for initiating contact before anyone ran crate motors in this class. The incident last Friday was by all accounts just hard racing, okay, that happens. Not on Kelley. Good for him. I was wrong about it, (at least this time), and I learned. 

Edited by FanJim24, 26 April 2017 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users