BROWNSTOWN, IN – Michael Chilton of Salvisa, KY led all 30 laps to win the $3,000 top prize in the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series Battle of the Bluegrass Region main event on Saturday night at Brownstown Speedway. Chilton took a .606 second margin of victory over Marty O’Neal of Spencer, IN, who charged from the 11th starting spot to finish second.
Devin Gilpin of Columbus, IN came back from a lap three stop to finish third and Fast Qualifier Joe Godsey of Edinburgh, IN took the fourth spot. Jason Jameson of Lawrenceburg, IN was fifth and Chad Stapleton of Edinburgh, IN was the Hard Charger of the Race after starting 16th and coming home in the sixth spot.
Steven Godsey of Bedford, IN drove to a seventh-place finish, and Jared Bailey of Bedford, IN was eighth. The ninth spot went to the defending ULTIMATE BoB Champion and current point leader Jeremy Hines of Seymour, IN, who came back from a cut tire on 15. and Tim Tungate of Campbellsville, KY rounded out the top ten.
In preliminary action, Joe Godsey toured the quarter-mile dirt oval in 13.454 seconds to set Fast Time honors in Group Qualifying. The two ten-lap Heat Races were won by Chilton and Hines. That gave Chilton the pole position for the 30-lap Main Event with Hines starting on the outside of the front row.
Chilton took the lead at the start of the race, but the first of four caution flags came out on lap three when Gilpin stalled on the track. Gilpin was able to return to the track before the green flag came back out, but had to restart at the tail of the field.
Chilton continued to lead Hines and Jameson, but the field was slowed for the second time on lap 14 for debris. Hines pulled up out of the second spot with a cut tire on lap 15, but returned to the race after a trip to the pit area to change it under caution. The final caution flag came out on lap 16 when Bailey stalled on the track.
With ten laps to go, it was Chilton leading Joe Godsey and Jameson. Chilton led the final ten laps unchallenged, while O’Neal and Gilpin charged their way into the top three in the closing laps.
The next three races on the 2017 ULTIMATE BoB schedule will be a triple racing weekend Co-Sanctioned with the ULTIMATE Super Late Model South East Region. It begins on Thursday night, August 17 with a $12,000-to-win, $500-to-start race at Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, TN.
The action then moves to Crossville Raceway in Crossville, TN for a $4,000-to-win, $400-to-start race on Friday night, August 18. The finale will be a $4,000-to-win, $400-to-start race at Duck River Speedway in Wheel, TN on Saturday night, August 19.
Check out the official website for the ULTIMATE Battle of the Bluegrass Series at www.ultimatesupers.com/BOBHome and continue to follow our social media networks for the ULTIMATE Battle of the Bluegrass Super Late Model Series to get up to the minute news and details as they become available.
OFFICIAL RESULTS OF ROUND 2 AT BROWNSTOWN SPEEDWAY IN BROWNSTOWN, IN ON 7/15/17:
POS STRT CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN LAPS $ WON
1. 1 97 Michael Chilton Salvisa, KY 30 $3,000
2. 11 19 Marty O’Neal Spencer, IN 30 $1,500
3. 7 1g Devin Gilpin Columbus, IN 30 $1,000
4. 9 14g Joe Godsey Edinburgh, IN 30 $800
5. 4 12 Jason Jameson Lawrenceburg, IN 30 $700
6. 16 32 Chad Stapleton Edinburgh, IN 30 $600
7. 8 14 Steven Godsey Bedford, IN 30 $550
8. 5 24 Jared Bailey Bedford, IN 30 $525
9. 2 5h Jeremy Hines Seymour, IN 30 $500
10. 13 16t Tim Tungate Campbellsville, KY 30 $475
11. 15 48 Glenn Thompson Buckingham, IL 30 $450
12. 3 55 Jeff Wilson Butlerville, IN 30 $425
13. 10 80 Matt Bex Avoca, IN 29 $410
14. 6 14r Jeff Roth Bentonville, AR 25 $400
15. 17 9h Karlie Holt Orleans, IN 25 $400
16. 12 1am Austin Mills Alexandria, KY 9 $400
17. 18 17m Alan Magner North Vernon, IN 3 $400
18. 14 22j John Baker Jr. French Lick, IN 3 $400
19. 19 6 Victor Lee Danville, KY 0 $0/DNS
FAST TIME: J. Godsey, 13.454
LEAD CHANGES: None
LAP LEADER: Chilton, 1-30
HARD CHARGER OF THE RACE: Stapleton (started 16th and finished 6th)
MARGIN OF VICTORY: .606 Seconds
TIME OF THE RACE: 25 Minutes and 1.195 Seconds
NEXT EVENTS: August 17, Volunteer Speedway, Bulls Gap, TN, $12,000-to-win, $500-to-start; August 18, Crossville Raceway, Crossville, TN, $4,000-to-win, $400-to-start; August 19, Duck River Speedway, Wheel, TN, $4,000-to-win, $400-to-start (Co-Sanctioned With ULTIMATE SE)
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. 14g Joe Godsey Edinburgh, IN 13.454
2. 97 Michael Chilton Salvisa, KY 13.539
3. 55 Jeff Wilson Butlerville, IN 13.666
4. 24 Jared Bailey Bedford, IN 13.673
5. 16t Tim Tungate Campbellsville, KY 13.732
6. 32 Chad Stapleton Edinburgh, IN 13.750
7. 1g Devin Gilpin Columbus, IN 13.980
8. 19 Marty O’Neal Spencer, IN 14.158
9. 48 Glenn Thompson Buckingham, IL 14.747
10. 9h Karlie Holt Orleans, IN 14.807
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. 14r Jeff Roth Bentonville, AR 13.541
2. 5h Jeremy Hines Seymour, IN 13.655
3. 12 Jason Jameson Lawrenceburg, IN 13.723
4. 6 Victor Lee Danville, KY 13.780
5. 14 Steven Godsey Bedford, IN 14.107
6. 17m Alan Magner North Vernon, IN 14.614
7. 1am Austin Mills Alexandria, KY 14.645
8. 22j John Baker Jr. French Lick, IN 14.684
9. 80 Matt Bex Avoca, IN 15.548
HEAT RACES – 10 LAPS:
1ST HEAT: 1. Chilton; 2. Wilson; 3. Bailey; 4. Gilpin; 5. J. Godsey; 6. O’Neal; 7. Tungate; 8. Thompson; 9. Stapleton; 10. Holt.
2ND HEAT: 1. Hines; 2. Jameson; 3. Roth; 4. S. Godsey; 5. Bex; 6. Lee; 7. Magner; 8. Mills; 9. Baker.
THE 2017 MARKETING PARTNERS FOR THE ULTIMATE BATTLE OF THE BLUEGRASS SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES ARE HOOSIER RACING TIRE, AMERICAN RACER TIRES, VP RACING FUEL, BEYEA HEADERS, ROCKET CHASSIS, TNT RACE CARS, ARIZONA SPORT SHIRTS, ROCK AUTO.COM, AND THOMAS CLARKE PERFORMANCE.