Steel City Stampede

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Benny K

Benny K

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

Car count hasn't been that bad since the first year. They had 15 sprints and 17 late models. Last year they had 18 mods as the lowest of the big three classes. They can at least get close to a full field of Supers and Big Blocks. However I do agree I'd they could get the purse up to 5000 to win those it would attract more outsiders. If you are looking for a big field of the big 3 classes this race obviously isn't for you.

#22 flash49

flash49

No Life

• Members
  • 6,314 posts
  • Interests:auto racing of course

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

During Mid- October, no race is a waste of time.  This coming weekend, there are big races all over the mid-west, the south, Clinton County, where are all of these Supers going to come from?   If they had a bigger race only for the top three divisions, you'd all be bitching about how much it cost to get in.  You people are hopeless.

#23 Lernerville PR BigE

Lernerville PR BigE

Just doin' my job!

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

Respectfully, youre easy to please. The track is a proven commodity and they would not have to move heaven and earth to make this event something special for the fans and probably better for their bottom line. In fact, itd be easy. As it is and has been, a two day show that draws roughly 12 mods, 17 sprints and 15 late models is a pretty big waste of time.

Fake news, here's the truth.

Last year:

Peoples TWP Sprints: 27

Precise Racing Products Late Models: 23

Diehl Modifieds: 18

Total: 297

2015:

Peoples TWP Sprints: 24

Precise Racing Products Late Models: 26

Diehl Automotive Big Block Modifieds: 20

Total: 321

2014:

Peoples TWP Sprints: 26

Precise Racing Products Late Models: 22

Diehl Modifieds: 25

Total: 313

Eric J. Westendorf Public Relations Director Lernerville Speedway Follow us on Twitter @Lernerville for Race Night Updates!

#24 Cool1

Cool1

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Racin

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

This + this + this= what?????

#25 714d

714d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

This + this + this= what?????

That's total cars in all classes, not just the 3 he listed.

#26 Cool1

Cool1

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:39 PM

OK

#27 Vigoda Motorsports

Vigoda Motorsports

Race Fan

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Young movie starlets, acting in big budget Hollywood films, and Western Pennsylvania dirt track racing

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:26 AM

During Mid- October, no race is a waste of time.  This coming weekend, there are big races all over the mid-west, the south, Clinton County, where are all of these Supers going to come from?   If they had a bigger race only for the top three divisions, you'd all be bitching about how much it cost to get in.  You people are hopeless.

If they had the desire to turn this race into something similar to Octoberfest, which in its time and place, drew a nice crop of regional late models, Brett Hearn and a bunch of New York mods and PA Posse sprints, I dont think anybody would bitch about the price.

I love Lernerville. I just find it puzzling that they dont want to make this event on a bigger scale. Perhaps Big E can shed some light.

Edited by Vigoda Motorsports, 10 October 2017 - 05:28 AM.

Who wants an autograph?

#28 raceover5

raceover5

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Racing and my kids

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

Big e is just the announcer now not the pr guy. You need to find the right guy and he won't be answering stuff on message boards I guarantee you that.

#29 BaconBits

BaconBits

Light heavyweight champion of my house

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  • Interests:Medium pimping.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

If they had the desire to turn this race into something similar to Octoberfest, which in its time and place, drew a nice crop of regional late models, Brett Hearn and a bunch of New York mods and PA Posse sprints, I dont think anybody would bitch about the price.

I love Lernerville. I just find it puzzling that they dont want to make this event on a bigger scale. Perhaps Big E can shed some light.

Paying the late models 5k would bring like 5 extra cars, tops.

Central PA cars dont even really come to the WoO or ASCoC shows, what makes you think a 5k unsanctioned race would bring them?

Youre not going to get Brett Hearn or any other SDS followers at Lernerville unless its an SDS race. Thing is, the SDS races theyve had there havent been particularly well attended fan wise. Besides, theyre racing Brockville this weekend anyways. Couldnt run Lernerville even if they wanted to.

Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

#30 Benny K

Benny K

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

Super Dirt guys run SDS races and their local tracks. I live in Delaware and frequent DE/NJ tracks. A few 10,000 to win shows this year and Stewart Friesen is the only SDS to run them. Hearn shows for some of the shows at the start of the year, and Danny Johnson has a ride out in this area, but other than that no one. A lot of that has to do with the American Racer vs Hoosier thing. The days of mega car counts for Late Models and Mods are in the past. They could pay the same purse as Fall Fest and draw nothing close to the 80 car fields they used to draw. 

Edited by Benny K, 10 October 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#31 Hot Dog

Hot Dog

• Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

Central PA cars dont even really come to the WoO or ASCoC shows, what makes you think a 5k unsanctioned race would bring them?

Youre not going to get Brett Hearn or any other SDS followers at Lernerville unless its an SDS race. Thing is, the SDS races theyve had there havent been particularly well attended fan wise. Besides, theyre racing Brockville this weekend anyways. Couldnt run Lernerville even if they wanted to.

And the World of Outlaws are at Port Royal this weekend, so most definitely wouldn't travel no matter the pay. The days of the largely attended events like octoberfest died with everybody and their brother having a big event every weekend in the fall. When octoberfest was big, it was the only show in a large area. There's a reason Octoberfest died, the last few years were poorly attended.

Edited by Hot Dog, 10 October 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#32 Don88

Don88

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Riding Motorcycles.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Headed to Portsmouth, Oh next week.. $100,000. to win will probably get over 100 SLM's and 75+

E-mods... And, $79.00 for all 3 nites including Pit pass!!  Then, on to
Charlotte, NC for the WOO finals!~! I would estimate 75+ sprints, the same SLM's and

50+ Big Block Mods!! Price??? $89.00 for all 3 nites including a pit pass for all 3!!

Then.....Dribble, dribble, squeak, squeak for 4 months!! Lol...

Oh yeh, and.... 'He Shoots and scores!!!'

#33 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

Big E: also reached out to you and the track on Twitter.  The link on the LV homepage which takes you to the Stampede links says open tires and rules for Stocks. However when people are calling the track we are being told open Hoosier and open motors must weigh #3100 lbs.  Which is it?  Thanks.

Vince Laboon

#34 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

All Stars are at Mansfield

#35 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Only central pa sprint I expect to see, will be Bradley Howard.
Matus' Garvin, & Spithaler will be at all Star race.
Also hearing Cory Good, and Rod George are done for the year.

#36 scruffy1a

scruffy1a

Racestud Sophistocate

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

To be fair, Abe did say the "modern equivalent" and "in its time and place."  This tells the reader that he has taken into account that there is more competition for cars at the end of the season than there used to be, and that high car counts means something different today than it did 10ish years ago.

5 extra cars for $2k more payout sounds like a win for the track.  They'd damn near break even on the $2k in the pit passes, entry fees, atv fees, and camping fees collected from the 5 extra teams, not to mention the concession purchases from those folks.

Central PA cars had paydays worth staying home for when the WoO and ASCoC were at Sarver.  It would take careful scheduling (not sure if this is even possible) that clearly must take into consideration what's happening in the Posse's backyard going against the Stampede.

The big modified guys came to Octoberfest because it was the only gig going at the time.  Clearly, the same would have to be true to draw them to Lernerville. 

I don't think the to-win money is as big of a factor as the payout as a whole, because it seems that fringe teams check further down the payout to try and lose as little money as possible for a race.  Remember that Octoberfest paid $10k to win, but was atrocious through the field and paid no tow money.  I don't believe as many are willing to make that gamble today as they were in the heyday of Hagerstown's event when it was a who's who field. 

If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just suck.

#37 Vigoda Motorsports

Vigoda Motorsports

Race Fan

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Young movie starlets, acting in big budget Hollywood films, and Western Pennsylvania dirt track racing

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

Right on as usual. I certainly dont expect what Octoberfest drew but something to entice some of the guys from up north and out east down in the lates, Yoder, Hardy, Stone, maybe even Chub and Eckert and the like, some more of the NY mods, and some more of the Central PA, Ohio Sprint guys. As it is, youre pretty much looking at the regular guys in those divisions. Fortunately the sprints have some parity as is but for a two day show youre making a production of, theres nobody coming to challenge Williamson and very little in Norriss way unless Ferree is hooked up, King isnt done for the year and Miley doesnt go to Clinton County. At least the 5% of people there to see the Rush and Stock guys will be blown away.

Hey look, this is coming from a place of love for Lernerville. Its not some hole in the wall place with people that dont know how to run a big show and this being the very best they can possibly do. The Thunder Dog is very likely the best Dog Hollow can do. I think we can agree that its not a stretch to say that Lernerville can make this event so much better if they really wanted to. Im merely wondering why they dont. Its a given that there are tons of October specials but there happens to be nothing huge or established running for any of the Big 3 on this particular weekend in October and Lernerville is certainly a name brand track. Build the Stampede up and they will come.

Edited by Vigoda Motorsports, 11 October 2017 - 06:39 AM.

Who wants an autograph?

#38 SprintFun

SprintFun

Rick's Inspiration

• Members
  • 5,643 posts
  • Interests:Sprint Cars, Late Models

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

To me the "problem" with the event is a 2 night ordeal for 1 night's pay.  Some people may not look at it that way, but that to me is what keeps some people away. Going to $5k to win wont attract more cars...

#39 RocketRide

RocketRide

Race Fan

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

Not to mention there tire rule

#40 Cool1

Cool1

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

C'mon guys, the place is run by a junk yard and a preacher. What do you expect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users