• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kaw1109

kaw1109

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

Does anyone know how the simspon youth hybrid sport would work for karting, or has anyone used the valhalla 360 plus, Thanks...

#2 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

I don't know but I want to give thoughts on it anyway because I'm interested too with a grandson likely to do some karting in a couple of years.

The first thing I learned about helmet body/head safety in karting weather adult or child was about a neck brace.  It's not pleasant to read but it was explained to me the purpose of the neck brace was to hopefully cause your shoulder blade or blades to breck when a compression incident occurs instead of breaking your neck.

Then after Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona devices were introduced to limit head and neck trauma by limiting forward movement of the helmet.  

Here's a url to the device your asking about:  https://pitstopusa.c...ASABEgJnMPD_BwE

It appears in addition to having straps to limit forward travel of the head and helmet to have a raised area above the shoulders.  My question for those who may already use them is about if the raised area above the shoulders is both raised enough to try to prevent a compression broken neck and does it provide sufficient landing area as a neck brace would to catch the bottom of the helmet.   It look like it may be able to catch a helmet being downwardly compressed, >>>but<<< I ain't sure.  Sometimes stuff looks like it will do the job but when the job needs done it fails.

I too would like to read on here the experience of others.  There's a big difference between we got one and it's great but never needed it's help during an on track incident and yep we use it and this is how we think it saved our tail during a crash on the track.

kaw1109, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread and instead am offering up questions your interested in too?  If my response is out of line just say so and I'll delete it.

edit:  I don't know if you know about 4cycle.com  the primary dirt oval karting site for the country.  If you don't know about it you should check it out and you may want to ask the question in either the beginners section or maybe better yet the General karting section. 

Additional edit info:  kaw1109 when you do go to 4cycle.com to ask and if you think anything I entered here is part of what your interested in, please feel free to copy and paste anything I wrote here to 4cycle.com as part of your question.   This is a general local fan racing site and is not the best place to gain info on karting though many who input on the site have entered racing through karting.

Edited by dirtstudent2, 15 May 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#3 brad hibbard

brad hibbard

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

when you guys refer to "karting" are you talking about flat karts or something like quarter midget and miniwedge?

I have 2 kids in miniwedges and one uses the simpson hybrid sport and the other uses a HANS

both are utilizing seat belts -----I don't see how either device would be much benefit without seatbelts 

that is why I asked about flat karts (no seat belts)

Brad

#4 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

Flat karts no seat belts

#5 kaw1109

kaw1109

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

I have red that since it straps around your body it keeps enough tension from your chest to still work to a extent,but without a full containment seat it has no latterral support, With the main part of the Device on your upper back I feel it will be uncomfortable the way my son sets in his seat, that's where the valhalla 360 might be a better fit just wont have quite as good frontal Support as the Simpson hybrid, that's why I'm asking for people's opinions who may have used one or know anyone who has, or there opinions on neck support for karting, thanks...

#6 brad hibbard

brad hibbard

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

I am not familiar with the Valhalla but I really can't see the hybrid doing much at all without seat belts

the straps around the body are intended to keep the device in place but the actual seat belts complete the restraint

by no means do I claim to be any kind of expert on restraint systems but I do have a personal interest with my 2 daughters competing in miniwedges.

I look forward to more discussion on the topic

Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users