Photo

Quick Results-8.3.18: Lynch Collects First Action Track Victory; Norris Dominates: King Sr. Edges King Jr.; McPherson Regains Points Lead

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 LernervillePRDirector

LernervillePRDirector

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

dsc_0371.jpg?w=775

John Stivason/Stivason Photos

Sarver, PA (August 4, 2018) Morning and early afternoon clouds and drizzle dissipated as the day progressed on Friday at The Action Track, clearing the way for a night of racing that contained dramatic moments and thrilling action all evening long as the Fab4 Fueled by Turners Premium Iced Tea kicked off action for the final month of the regular season.  And when the dust settled, a legendary car known to many found it’s way to Terry Bowser Victory Lane with a driver behind the wheel that made his first appearance there in his young career.

Sye Lynch started on the front row of the 25 lap Peoples Gas DIRTcar Sprint main event and put the field behind him soon  after shaking off an early challenge from the invading central Pennsylvania driver Gerard McIntyre. Lynch found himself with several large batches of lapped traffic to deal with at various points in the race, but managed to increase his lead over McIntyre to a straightaway while hammering the top side of the speedway. Meanwhile, Jack Sodeman Jr. managed to shrink points leader AJ Flick’s 16 point advantage to a more manageable nine points as he rounded out the podium with a third place finish.  But the night and the moment belonged to Lynch who parked the familiar looking 2L machine in victory lane for the first time in his career, much to the delight of fans on hand.

In Precise Racing DIRTcar Late Model action, Michael Norris came within a mere car length of lapping the entire field of cars on hand en route to his seventh victory of the season. Following a caution on the very first lap that ruined the chances of victory for Michael Lake and Andrew Wylie, Norris quickly made his way to the front from his 10th starting spot to the lead in less than a handful of laps. Once out front, Norris set a blistering pace and managed to lap all but Joshua Powell who managed his best career finish at Lernerville.

J.R. McGinley started on the front row and looked impressive early in Diehl Automotive DIRTcar Big Block Modified action as he led past the five lap mark. However, he would be overcome first by Jim Weller Jr. and all would eventually succumb to a pair of Kings who made their way forward with authority.  Rex King Sr. and Jr. joined the front with the elder King would take the lead from Weller on lap 14. King  would then have to hold off King Jr. who had been challenged for the third spot by McGinley whom had found a great deal of forward bite at the top of the speedway. McGinley would slip off the speedway on lap 17 and King Jr made his way under Weller for the second spot on lap 20 where he would chase his father down, but come up just short as the checkered flag waved over King Sr. who managed his first Lernerville victory since 2015.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than to be good, and in the Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar/RUSH Pro Stock main event, Corey McPherson found himself caught up in a precarious position on the back stretch facing the wrong way with a field of cars headed straight for him.  McPherson would manage to avoid disaster following the spin and kept his car straight and fast the rest of the way as he collected his fourth win of the season. Meanwhile, title contender and points leader coming into the night Tyler Dietz suffered a rough series of unfortunate turns as mechanical gremlins in hot laps forced him from his car into John Hartman’s ride for the remainder of the night. Dietz held the lead twice early on in the main event but had a rear tire go flat.  Dietz would get a new tire and move forward from the tail of the field as he scratched out a determined fourth place finish which helped minimize the damage while McPherson found himself atop the season standings heading into next Friday night

Peoples Natural Gas DIRTcar Sprint Main Event (25 Laps)

1. (2L) Sye Lynch
2. (07) Gerard McIntyre
3. (23J) Jack Sodeman Jr. 
4. (33) John Garvin Jr.
5. (2) A.J. Flick
6. (08) Dan Kuriger
7. (98) Carl Bowser
8. (51) Brent Matus
9. (4N) Dale Blaney
10. (13) Brandon Matus
11. (55) Gary Kriess
12. (08F) Andy Feil
13. (56) Ralph Spithaler
14. (29P) Dan Shetler
15. (46) Michael Bauer
16. (24) Jeremy Hill
17. (4K) Bill Kiley
18. (91) Sadie Siegel
19. (23) Darren Pifer
20. (23c) Jerry Hairhoger

Precise Racing Products DIRTcar Late Model Main Event (25 Laps) 

1. (72) Michael Norris
2. (11) Josh Powell
3. (61) Jon Lee
4. (55) Chris Schneider
5. (10L) Gary Lyle
6. (29) Kenny Schaltenbrand
7. (91) Tommy Beck
8. (13) Todd Weldon
9. (14R) Clay Ruffo
10. (81) Mike Miller
11. (84) Andrew Wylie
12. (27) Michael Lake
13. (15) Kelvin Kohan- Did Not Start
14. (4T8) Colton Flinner- Did Not Start

Diehl Automotive DIRTcar Big Block Modified Main Event (25 Laps)

1. (65) Rex King Sr.
2. (165) Rex King Jr. 
3. (31) Jim Weller Jr. 
4. (10s) Garrett Krummert
5. (61) Dave Murdick
6. (45) Steve Feder
7. (4J) John Mollick
8. (13) Rick Regalski
9. (25) Chris Rudolph
10. (18) Colton Walters
11. (83) Brian Swartzlander
12. (66) J.R. McGinley
13. (88) Shawn Fleeger
14. (29s) Steve Slater
15. (5) Brian Sadler
16. (22) Kevin Long
17. (63) Jessica Kriegisch
18. (89) Erik Bowser
19. (75) Jeff Miller
20. (132) Brandon Michaud
21. (37MD) Jeremiah Shingledecker

Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar RUSH Pro Stock Main Event (20 Laps) 

1. (C33) Corey McPherson
2. (13X) Ryan Moyer
3. (31) Noah Brunell
4. (27) Tyler Dietz
5. (32) Mark Sanders
6. (948) Joey Zambotti
7. (26) Mike Bordt
8. (25) Greg Beach
9. (35B) Jacob Dietz
10. (22J) Chase Lambert
11. (21) Jeff Miller
12. (29B) Scott Byers
13. (17) Sam Eichelberger
14. (77) Heath Close
15. (66) Joe Kelley
16. (30) Bob Egley
17. (310) Dale Tuche

Peoples Natural Gas DIRTcar Sprint Heat 1

1. (2L) Sye Lynch
2. (08F) Andy Feil
3. (46) Michael Bauer
4. (2) AJ Flick
5. (98) Carl Bowser
6. (56) Ralph Spithaler
7. (91) Sadie Siegel
8. (23) Darren Pifer
9. (00) Alan Free

Peoples Natural Gas DIRTcar Sprint Heat 2

1. (33) John Garvin Jr. 
2. (07) Gerard McIntyre
3. (55) Gary Kriess Jr. 
4. (51) Brent Matus
5. (23c) Jerry Hairhoger
6. (38) Dennis Wagner
7. (154) Shamus O’Donnell
8. (23s) Russ Sansosti- Did Not Start
9. (29P) Dan Shetler- Did Not Start

Peoples Natural Gas DIRTcar Sprint Heat 3
1. (23J) Jack Sodeman Jr. 
2. (08) Dan Kuriger
3. (40) George Hobaugh
4. (4N) Dale Blaney
5. (13) Brandon Matus
6. (4K) Bill Kiley
7. (24) Jeremy Hill
8. (34M) Mike Marano II

Peoples Natural Gas DIRTcar Sprint BMain (10 Laps) 

1. (56) Ralph Spithaler
2. (29P) Dan Shetler
3. (4K) Bill Kiley
4. (23) Darren Pifer
5. (91) Sadie Siegel
6. (24) Jeremy Hill- DNQ
7. (00) Alan Free- DNQ
8. (38) Dennis Wagner- Did Not Start
9. (154) Shaums O’Donnell- Did Not Start
10. (34M) Mike Marano II- Did Not Start
11. (23s) Russ Sansosti- Did Not Start

Precise Racing DIRTcar Late Model Heat 1

1. (72) Michael Norris
2. (4T8) Colton Flinner
3. (84) Andrew Wylie
4. (61) Jon Lee
5. (27) Michael Lake
6. (55) Chris Schneider
7. (13) Todd Weldon

Precise Racing DIRTcar Late Model Heat 2
1. (10L) Gary Lyle
2. (91T) Tommy Beck
3. (81) Mike Miller
4. (29) Ken Schaltenbrand
5. (11) Joshua Powell
6. (14R) Clay Ruffo
7. (15) Kelvin Kohan

Diehl Automotive DIRTcar Big Block Modified Heat 1

1. (65) Rex King Sr. 
2. (165) Rex King Jr. 
3. (31) Jim Weller Jr. 
4. (66) J.R. McGinley
5. (37M) Jeremiah Shingledecker
6. (29s) Steve Slater
7. (75) Jeff Miller
8. (132) Brandon Michaud
9. (5) Brian Sadler
10. (63) Jessica Kriegisch

Diehl Automotive DIRTcar Big Block Modified Heat 2

1. (83) Brian Swartzlander
2. (10s) Garrett Krummert
3. (45) Steve Feder
4. (4J) John Mollick
5. (13) Rick Regalski
6. (61) Dave Murdick
7. (25) Chris Rudolph
8. (88) Shawn Fleeger
9. (89) Erik Bowser
10. (18) Colton Walters

Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar/RUSH Pro Stock Heat 1
1. (C33) Corey McPherson
2. (29B) Scott Byers
3. (32) Mark Sanders
4. (66) Joe Kelley
5. (26) Mike Bordt
6. (310) Dale Tuche
7. (30) Bob Egley
8. (31) Noah Brunell
9. (22J) Chase Lambert

Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar/RUSH Pro Stock Heat 2
1. (13x) Ryan Moyer
2. (948) Joey Zambotti
3. (27) Tyler Dietz
4. (17) Sam Eichelberger
5. (25) Greg Beach
6. (35B) Greg Beach
7. (35B) Jacob Dietz
8. (21) Jeff Miller
9. (77) Heath Close

Peoples Natural Gas DIRTcar Sprints: 26
Precise Racing DIRTcar Late Models: 14
Diehl Automotive DIRTcar Big Block Modifieds: 21
Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar/RUSH Pro Stocks: 18
Total Car Count: 79

Addicted to Dirt, no therapy or rehab for me please, I'll just learn to live with it. http://thedirtnetwork.blogspot.com/ The DIRT Network

#2 rocket21

rocket21

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

McPherson was spun out and at a dead stop on the back stretch yet the officials gave him the lead back instead of putting him in the rear.TOTAL BS !

#3 blue by you

blue by you

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

McPherson was spun out and at a dead stop on the back stretch yet the officials gave him the lead back instead of putting him in the rear.TOTAL BS !

thats there boy. there not going to do that.

#4 Justin314

Justin314

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

3 really good features. Congrats to all feature winners. Track was decent all night. Lerverville, please save the late models.

#5 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

That's how I saw it too. 

I hate to say it, but these guys are even worse than Gary and WRG. 

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#6 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

It was Mcherson and Zambotti that went sliding down the back stretch.  the flagman reached for the yellow when they started sliding, it looked like there was gonna be a pileup.  I'm not sure either fully stopped but Kelly then got involved.  THE YELLOW WAS FOR 33 and 948 being sideways on the back straight.  the announcer said the yellow was charged to Kelly. I'm not defending the track or the call or anything else,  but I think they got it correct. If the 33 and 948 never stopped.  I'd love to see some video.  I have seen cars bring out yellow before and not been sent to tail.  from my view they never completly stopped(33 & 948). What a good night of racing in all classes.  gotta give the track thumbs up for that!! 

27. In the event that a car, running in competition, gets “out of shape” (spins, bicycles, etc.), but recovers, and keeps racing, but a “quick” caution was displayed, that car will be permitted to maintain the position where it recovered. Driver will not be charged with a caution

Edited by Hans Solo, 04 August 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#7 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

It was Mcherson and Zambotti that went sliding down the back stretch.  the flagman reached for the yellow when they started sliding, it looked like there was gonna be a pileup.  I'm not sure either fully stopped but Kelly then got involved.  THE YELLOW WAS FOR 33 and 948 being sideways on the back straight.  the announcer said the yellow was charged to Kelly. I'm not defending the track or the call or anything else,  but I think they got it correct. If the 33 and 948 never stopped.  I'd love to see some video.  I have seen cars bring out yellow before and not been sent to tail.  from my view they never completly stopped(33 & 948). What a good night of racing in all classes.  gotta give the track thumbs up for that!!       

So let's say that everyone got through clean. What would the yellow have been for? That's who should go to the back, plus anyone involved after the fact. 

Edited by FanJim24, 04 August 2018 - 01:17 PM.

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#8 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube....bed/g1RFipgqW4M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

happens at about the 7 minute mark.   

not very good with computer.  I hope this works. 

Edited by Hans Solo, 04 August 2018 - 01:21 PM.

#9 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

So let's say that everyone got through clean. What would the yellow have been for? That's who should go to the back, plus anyone involved after the fact. 

according to rule 27 Fanjim,  they get there spot back.  That's how I read it.  Not saying I agree with it.   Flagman reached for yellow before Kelly was involved,  If Kelly would not have stopped,  they may have just lined them up and went green??  But by rule....I think they got it right.  Mcphereson never stopped moving.  

#10 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

Then the rule is bassackwards, and it goes back to the second line of my first post on the thread. Track has had successively worse management with each change. 

#11 Vigoda Motorsports

Vigoda Motorsports

Race Fan

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Young movie starlets, acting in big budget Hollywood films, and Western Pennsylvania dirt track racing

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

I have no further doubt that the Rush Lates will be replacing the Supers in 2019.

Who wants an autograph?

#12 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:38 PM

according to rule 27 Fanjim,  they get there spot back.  That's how I read it.  Not saying I agree with it.   Flagman reached for yellow before Kelly was involved,  If Kelly would not have stopped,  they may have just lined them up and went green??  But by rule....I think they got it right.  Mcphereson never stopped moving.  

But the caution was not quick and it was caused by C33 and 948, so it is up for interpretation at that point, and based on cars stacking up behind them the cautions was perfectly in order. 

#13 sle21

sle21

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

So how many guys have to have their sh!t torn up by a particular driver before the track has a talk with them? All for a race that pays $300 to win and a points championship that pays Penny's. Secondly any time a car spins around a caution should be called. This b.s. about keeping the car going teaches guys to cause a cluster f##@ on the track and guys who had nothing to do with the accident end up getting torn up or loosing a ton of spots for simply taking avoidance measures.

#14 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

So how many guys have to have their sh!t torn up by a particular driver before the track has a talk with them? All for a race that pays $300 to win and a points championship that pays Penny's. Secondly any time a car spins around a caution should be called. This b.s. about keeping the car going teaches guys to cause a cluster f##@ on the track and guys who had nothing to do with the accident end up getting torn up or loosing a ton of spots for simply taking avoidance measures.

Good idea most of the time, but there are times when a driver spins away from anyone else and is able to get out of the way, or save it and keep going, sometimes only losing a few positions. Those situations don't call for a caution. IMHO, let 'em race when it's safe. 

#15 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer &amp; gas/oil collectibles

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

Most of you weren't around in the 50s!!   Back then if a car spun around and stopped in the middle of the turn the driver just sat there until the end of the race leaving the still racing cars to go around him one side or the other!!!  Not saying this is right, but that is how it was back then!! Of course, race cars were just 1930s coupes off the street and junk yards and not worth the big bucks they are today.   Personally. I didn't think Corey or Joey stopped, but wouldn't bet my life on it!!   If they did stop it was only for a couple of seconds.        And to Justin314......The Late Models are not just a Lernerville problem, it is circuit wide!!!   High costs have finally caught up with the class!!   And the crates don't seem to be the answer, as some tracks don't have anymore of them than "super" Lates!!   The high cost of the chassis seems to be what is killing the class.

GOOD RACING TO ALL!!!!

Walt

#16 bezerker

bezerker

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

Sorry Walt but if the track would enforce even the written rules, you would have more participation from local teams.

Edited by bezerker, 04 August 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#17 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

Most of you weren't around in the 50s!!   Back then if a car spun around and stopped in the middle of the turn the driver just sat there until the end of the race leaving the still racing cars to go around him one side or the other!!!  Not saying this is right, but that is how it was back then!! Of course, race cars were just 1930s coupes off the street and junk yards and not worth the big bucks they are today.   Personally. I didn't think Corey or Joey stopped, but wouldn't bet my life on it!!   If they did stop it was only for a couple of seconds.        And to Justin314......The Late Models are not just a Lernerville problem, it is circuit wide!!!   High costs have finally caught up with the class!!   And the crates don't seem to be the answer, as some tracks don't have anymore of them than "super" Lates!!   The high cost of the chassis seems to be what is killing the class.

GOOD RACING TO ALL!!!!

Walt

A little before my time Walt. 

#18 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

Then the rule is bassackwards, and it goes back to the second line of my first post on the thread. Track has had successively worse management with each change. 

I'm not saying it's a good rule Jim,  but it's not really the track mgt.  I've seen this rule in effect at many local tracks and by many sanctioning bodies.  I'm saying that by the rule, they got it right.  Rocket 21 said he was at a dead stop, and I didn't see it that way.  Did you think he was stopped??

#19 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

I'm not saying it's a good rule Jim,  but it's not really the track mgt.  I've seen this rule in effect at many local tracks and by many sanctioning bodies.  I'm saying that by the rule, they got it right.  Rocket 21 said he was at a dead stop, and I didn't see it that way.  Did you think he was stopped??

That assumes that it was a "quick caution," whatever that can mean, but I don't think that it was a quick caution since one car had to be towed, at which point the cars that the yellow was for go to the back. The yellow came out immediately. I assume Todd was watching the same cars everyone else was, (C33 and 948), and went yellow as soon as there were 2 cars sideways at the front of the pack, which is the right call--slow down and alert everyone. 

Giving someone who brings out a caution and would have lost spots without the caution the same positions that they would have lost without the caution is not a good rule. No one can tell me that the C33 and 948 would have recovered anywhere near the front had there not been the caution that they caused. Let's say that no one stopped and there was no caution, the whole field would have gone by them before they were back up to speed. 

Edited by FanJim24, 05 August 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#20 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

That assumes that it was a "quick caution," whatever that can mean, but I don't think that it was a quick caution since one car had to be towed, at which point the cars that the yellow was for go to the back. The yellow came out immediately. I assume Todd was watching the same cars everyone else was, (C33 and 948), and went yellow as soon as there were 2 cars sideways at the front of the pack, which is the right call--slow down and alert everyone. 

Giving someone who brings out a caution and would have lost spots without the caution the same positions that they would have lost without the caution is not a good rule. No one can tell me that the C33 and 948 would have recovered anywhere near the front had there not been the caution that they caused. Let's say that no one stopped and there was no caution, the whole field would have gone by them before they were back up to speed. 

I agree with you 100% Jim,  Bad Rule.  But just part of our sport.  I guess the divide in our opinions becomes was 33 stopped and is it fault of track mgt.  I respectfully may disagree.  Hopefully we both show up and pay our $15 next week!!! :D   Where is flash49 on this!! I'd luv to hear what he thought!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users