Photo

Quick Results-8.3.18: Lynch Collects First Action Track Victory; Norris Dominates: King Sr. Edges King Jr.; McPherson Regains Points Lead

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

I agree with you 100% Jim,  Bad Rule.  But just part of our sport.  I guess the divide in our opinions becomes was 33 stopped and is it fault of track mgt.  I respectfully may disagree.  Hopefully we both show up and pay our $15 next week!!! :D   Where is flash49 on this!! I'd luv to hear what he thought!!

The divide is not whether they stopped, but whether it was a "quick caution," which by the very bad rule allows the race director to advance the caution cars. I say advance because had they not caused the caution they would have gone to the back by being passed. If it was not a "quick caution" then they may not be advanced and would be treated as the caution cars and sent to the back. Since a car had to be towed off of the track it would not be quick by anyone's definition except someone wanting the C33 to win the points again this year. 

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#22 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

...and nothing wrong with respectfully disagreeing. I definitely have my biases in this discussion. 

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#23 DavyLee2

DavyLee2

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • Interests:racing/music/billiards

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

I disagree about the Late models .. And The track owners cant " Save the late models " .. they can only adjust their business model to what is trending to preserve their business ( like the stock cars ... but that trend is already going the other way slowly IMO) 

Trending to a claimer division is like  cornering the newspaper business or advertising on CNN ..

My prediction is opposite of the late models going away because the previous 20 years trend of Celebrating the downward spiral of America  has been smashed like little Snowflakes into sunny day  tears !..... all in 500 days ...  

#24 old man d

old man d

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

OH Good Lord...........................................REALLY. :blink: ;) :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

#25 jo73

jo73

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,471 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:32 PM

Over the years it was and still is, the engine costs were killing racing. Hence crate crap. I said it long ago, these guys buying new xr-1 and longhorns to go crate racing was simply crazy.

Let's look at a sprint car or mod chassis. There basic design hasn't changed in years. You look at today's SLM and the rule makers have let them get so out of hand. Some say the bodies, but the cost of a body really is 1 of the cheapest things on a SLM. The class is in trouble. Will it ever be what it was ? I highly doubt it.

Again, many jumped on the crate racing as a way to save late model racing. Well were has that helped ? Crate fields are down for the same reason slm fields are. TO MANY DAM RULES.

#26 tonyp

tonyp

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

Since I am far less familiar with sprint car costs, how do they compare with a super late? I would have thought that since they're the headliner sprints would be as expensive or more than a late model but judging by the car counts for both over the last few years it looks like my thinking is wrong.

#27 TCM29

TCM29

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:47 PM

Most of you weren't around in the 50s!!   Back then if a car spun around and stopped in the middle of the turn the driver just sat there until the end of the race leaving the still racing cars to go around him one side or the other!!!  Not saying this is right, but that is how it was back then!! Of course, race cars were just 1930s coupes off the street and junk yards and not worth the big bucks they are today.   Personally. I didn't think Corey or Joey stopped, but wouldn't bet my life on it!!   If they did stop it was only for a couple of seconds.        And to Justin314......The Late Models are not just a Lernerville problem, it is circuit wide!!!   High costs have finally caught up with the class!!   And the crates don't seem to be the answer, as some tracks don't have anymore of them than "super" Lates!!   The high cost of the chassis seems to be what is killing the class.

GOOD RACING TO ALL!!!!

Walt

Years ago I worked for an old time racer turned flagman who once told me he would not throw the yellow if there was room for one car to get through! Not sure I like that idea; kind of reminds me of that big pileup at Langhorne in 1951! Speaking of yellows, what happened to Nascars "debris cautions"? I guess the cars don't fall apart like they did over the past couple years......judging by today's news they have their own problems with Brianless France......

#28 jo73

jo73

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,471 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Almost every form of major league racing is hurting fan wise except for in my opinion. Short track dirt track racing. Yes, weekly shows are struggling for premium car counts everywhere. You go to a Lucas show, all-stars and WoO sprint or SLM and you see strong fields of quality equipment. It is what it is. The Friday WoO show at the Grove was outstanding. So, toss some clothes in the vehicle of choice and hit the road to a traveling show. I don't think you're going to be disappointed.

#29 DavyLee2

DavyLee2

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • Interests:racing/music/billiards

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Congratulations to Sye Lynch!
There have been many many kids of greats with the best equipment and best knowledge behind them
But ! You still have to drive the car !
Standing Ovation!!!
Those are some big shoes to fill
Go get em !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users