edit: I now see 55 views. Since I first posted and now I've corrected some errors and added thought to it. So if you enjoyed it but saw obvious flaws, they may be fixed or you may want to comment on the errors and flaws.
Setting toe with the basics is easy, ya need some. How much ya need over how much is necessary depending on what you drive and what you race on, depends on how much slop there is in your front end parts. That nets out to more slop and play you probably can go with less toe then is required for what you race and where you race. I already figure the first thing this is going to make someone think about is bump steer. But since the need for toe transcends so many types of oval race vehicles, i'll just throw bump steer for this hopefully good discussion into the group of how much toe you needs depends on the design of what you race.
After ruling out the obvious input we can have about setting toe here are the questions about how do you set toe and why do you do it that way?:
1. Do you set toe with the front wheels straight ahead and do each side equally measuring across between the front and back of the tires to find your toe?
2. Do you string the right side tires, meaning make both right side tires parallel with each other and put the amount of toe in the left front tire?
3. Do you string the left side tires, meaning make both left side tires parallel with each other and put the amount of toe in the right front tire?
4. Do you just park it with the fronts straight and get down and look at it to see if ya got some toe that looks right?
5. Do you use #4 along with it's a waist of time because the back axle's almost never in the same position in the car on the track, as it is off the track.
6. What did I miss about setting toe?
Toe, ya need some, how much and how ya do it just depends. Depends on what?
answer: The amount of toe you use is just one of many adjustment inputs which together set how you want your front tires to be positioned and angled at critical places around the track. It does not answer the question of what is the correct way to set toe and why.
What is the correct way to set toe and why?
edit: I hope that makes amends for me throwing thoughts on here about politics. And I think there may be just one answer.
Edited by dirtstudent2, 30 January 2019 - 04:22 PM.