Big Kahuna

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Benny K

Benny K

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I see they made the Big Kahuna 2 different complete shows for the Super Late Models. 2000 to win Friday night and 5000 to win Saturday night. Everyone was quick to put them down after the NDRL race and the bad track conditions, but they had 23 Supers last night for a regular show so they must be doing something right.

#2 GEARHEAD

GEARHEAD

• Members
  • 5,956 posts
  • Interests:LM Racing and rock/metal music

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm going to have a hard time going back there after the lack of effort Rick put into track prep for the NDRL show. It looked like he took advantage of John Kennedy and their arrangement and used as little of his resources as he could to make as much money as he could at the expense of the NDRL. I missed the King of the Knob for the first time in several years and am planning on attending the Harvest 50 on Kahuna weekend. It was a shame that the quality field of cars that showed up for the NDRL race couldn't put on a show to make it worth the money that the fans paid to get in.

#3 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm going to have a hard time going back there after the lack of effort Rick put into track prep for the NDRL show. It looked like he took advantage of John Kennedy and their arrangement and used as little of his resources as he could to make as much money as he could at the expense of the NDRL. I missed the King of the Knob for the first time in several years and am planning on attending the Harvest 50 on Kahuna weekend. It was a shame that the quality field of cars that showed up for the NDRL race couldn't put on a show to make it worth the money that the fans paid to get in.

I also agree as we travel 2 hrs each way. The last 2 times we have been there it was like that. doubt if I ever go back.

#4 CR9crewguy

CR9crewguy

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

I must say I was disappointed after the NDRL show but both the King of the Knob and last nights race that we ran you could run the top, bottom and even if set up correct through the middle of the track and was pretty racey. Just seems that they dropped the ball for he NDRL cause the last two weeks were decent. Looking forward to the Kahuna show.

#5 GEARHEAD

GEARHEAD

• Members
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

I must say I was disappointed after the NDRL show but both the King of the Knob and last nights race that we ran you could run the top, bottom and even if set up correct through the middle of the track and was pretty racey. Just seems that they dropped the ball for he NDRL cause the last two weeks were decent. Looking forward to the Kahuna show.

That may be the case, but his "take the money and run" attitude toward the NDRL show put his track in a very negative light and I highly doubt the NDRL will ever return there. If the track was in fact that good the last two weeks that verifies that he didn't care if the NDRL show was any good or not because he had no financial responsibility for that show and just did the bare minimum.

#6 TheLegend

TheLegend

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

That may be the case, but his "take the money and run" attitude toward the NDRL show put his track in a very negative light and I highly doubt the NDRL will ever return there. If the track was in fact that good the last two weeks that verifies that he didn't care if the NDRL show was any good or not because he had no financial responsibility for that show and just did the bare minimum.

Wasn't there a threat of a major storm that caused them to not risk watering it ? The theory that he mailed it in on purpose doesn't make sense . It was an Opportunity to expose his track to a bunch of new fans ... Why not make the show as good as possible so they come back !

#7 BaconBits

BaconBits

Light heavyweight champion of my house

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  • Interests:Medium pimping.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Wasn't there a threat of a major storm that caused them to not risk watering it ? The theory that he mailed it in on purpose doesn't make sense . It was an Opportunity to expose his track to a bunch of new fans ... Why not make the show as good as possible so they come back !

Yep. There were storms swriling around the track the enitre day. If it did downpour and the track was heavy/tacky, they would have lost the night for sure, so they sealed it off early.

Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

#8 GEARHEAD

GEARHEAD

• Members
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Not really, there was only one storm cell south of the track that was never really a threat. He only put a couple loads of water on it all day when the radar was clear. The radar was clearing out before the feature started, there was no reason not to do something with the track before feature time. Unfortunately the light shower that did hit didn't help the track at all.

#9 7wbedford55

7wbedford55

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:hunting racing hockey

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Lets see today at 7:23am Storms swriling around track the enitre day. 11:30am Not,never really a threat radar clear. But a light shower did hit the track. WTF????

#10 Benny K

Benny K

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

No storms around , but the Pitt- FSU had to clear out the stands before kickoff due to a huge line of stroms that rolled through. I remember looking at the radar and being shocked they didnt get rain.

#11 racingchick81

racingchick81

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

the track for the king of the knob was actually pretty decent. i was embarrassed for the facility after the conditon for the NDRL show. Hopefully someone gets it right, IF the NDRL even comes back. The lucas race track prep wasn't stellar either. It's a shame, as the facility is beautiful, and I have seen some good shows in the past.

No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."

#12 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

the track for the king of the knob was actually pretty decent. i was embarrassed for the facility after the conditon for the NDRL show. Hopefully someone gets it right, IF the NDRL even comes back. The lucas race track prep wasn't stellar either. It's a shame, as the facility is beautiful, and I have seen some good shows in the past.

I will not be back, been there for 3 big shows and track sucked!

#13 BurntClutch

BurntClutch

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'll never go back either.....that NDRL race was a disaster. 2 hour drive each way for a garbage event through and through.

#14 Tommy

Tommy

• Members
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

The NDRL race, the track pretty much got screwed because of weather and it put them in a lose-lose situation. They were rushing the show along to get the race in because it was lighting all around the track, there was a rain delay on lap 12 of the feature.

#15 Jimmy Henry

Jimmy Henry

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

In all fairness, the track was beginning to widen until the rains came---after that, the bottom was the only groove. Even Davey Johnson commented about how the track was starting to get good until the rain. I don't think much could have been done about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users