• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 John Doe

John Doe

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Anyone know what happened at Knox on Sunday? I'm hearing that he refused tech on his motor and a fight broke out. Anyone there know the facts?

#2 Rusty_Nuts

Rusty_Nuts

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. Good driver but a lot of those "305s" don't sound like they can possibly be stock

#3 SprintRacer46

SprintRacer46

Cool Newbie

• Member Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hello, I am Michael Bauer. Here are the facts of what happened on Sunday, May 25th, 2014 at Sportsman’s Speedway. First of all, the “tech inspectors” do not value or even comprehend the rulebook. For example, the rules say that we run under Outlaw Sprint Warrior rules at Sportsman’s Speedway. To start the night they cited Section 4.q, which states:

Track officials reserve the right to exchange a Schwanke flashed and approved “house” computer with any competitor’s computer at any time. No reason or explanation is required by any official. Refusal will result in disqualification and suspension. Any exchanged computer found to be illegal will result in indefinite suspension.

They purposely misinterpreted these rules to state that they were allowed to force two competitors to switch computers. I argued against them because they were corrupt and trying to purposely disadvantage us. For example, a competitor may have had a malfunctioning box. However, they would not let us run unless we switched computers. So we did. Then we won the heat and the feature! Afterwards, they wanted to remove my seals. This would be considered a protest and would require the protester to put up $500 which wasn't done. They actually convinced another unlucky individual to remove his seals. It wasn't his fault as he was simply following what the “tech inspectors” had said without being entirely familiar with the rulebook which states in Sections 5.h and 5.i respectively,

Non-sealed motors will not be eligible to compete.

Tampering with, removing or altering the engine seals or being in possession of a tampered engine may result in a suspension up to one year for both the car owner and driver. Failure to surrender the engine for inspection will automatically result in a one year suspension. If you buy a used sealed engine from a questionable source, it is recommended that you have it checked by a track technical inspector before racing.

My car was inspected and sealed by Don Blackshear as required. The “tech inspectors” could not remove/tamper with my seals or I would have to have my engine reteched by the actual tech inspector. Unfortunately, the car whose seals were tampered with is now illegal as their seals have been tampered with violating Section 5.i of the rulebook, which is outrageous! The so-called “tech inspectors” at Sportsman’s Speedway should be required to pay the cost of getting his engine resealed. This cost is expressed in Section 11.c as follows:

The cost for the engine sealing procedure is $100.00 plus seals at the engine technicians shop. Engine technician is able to travel on request. The engine tech inspector will be reimbursed an additional travel expense of $1.00 per mile (one way).

In conclusion, I was not disqualified and remain undefeated at Sportsman’s Speedway. I do not plan to return to the Speedway until a tech inspector who is knowledgeable of the rules and NOT PART OF ANY RACE TEAM is put in charge.

#4 Crusty1

Crusty1

Race Fan

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

How can someone refuse tech? 

The tech inspector I saw at Sportsman is a certified RUSH and Fastrac tech man. I also think he does 305 Racesavers,

But he's not up to your standards. 

#5 3799

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

The problem is if the seals are broken on the motor any driver must pay the $125 to have it resealed. The valve covers are wired, then epoxied, and stamped as part of the OSW inspection process. If those seals are broken it must be teched again,. Sportsmans Speedway is in no way shape or form connected with OSW. The OSW sprint cars are a Mercer division. We own the rights to the name. Our rules package is a good one and Sportsmans decided to use our rules. Sportsmans Speedway was not going to pay to reseal the engine. They could have impounded the car until Don Blackshear gave them every measurement and seal number of that motor. Why were they in such a rush to judgement last night.

Racesaver finally amended their rules this year to allow Racesaver cars to race with other series. They have recorded the seal and head number of each car. That is the very same procedure used at Mercer for the OSW cars. Would a Racesaver team allow their seals to be broken by Sportsmans Speedway for inspection, and then have to pay to go through their own tech inspection process again? I doubt they would, and they should not have to unless the motor has been protested and the protest fee has been put up by another competitor who finished in the top 5 in the feature as stated in the rules.

All we have heard is the computer in Bauer's car is illegal. I could give you a big fat clue who owns that box, but I won't. They swapped the box out last night even though the rules state the track must supply the replacement, not switch it with another car, and miracle of miracles he won again. It's not the computer. It's not size of the engine. Besides the fact that Michael Bauer is a very talented racer nobody has figured out what plays a huge part in why that car is so fast. It is really very simple. He is the only one that is doing what makes that car go fast, and it is available to every team 305 or 5.3.

Edited by 3799, 27 May 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#6 parker16

parker16

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

I couldn't agree more. well said Mr.Dutko

#7 mavajo3

mavajo3

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Well said. After the deal with Darren Pifer and lack of brains for the folks running this track, they hold no stock of credibility in my books.

#8 whenpigsfly

whenpigsfly

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

If i remember correctly that was a 86-39" car giving it what some would call a huge advantage within the 305 ranks.  I may be wrong but i believe that to be the same car guy griffin had a couple years back and it was built by trevis.  This is the problem with two engine packages in a division.  One will point the finger at the other.  Open the rules up and if you dont like it go back to go carts.... All this drama is just a headache... its a wonder you can even find a track that wants to deal with it....

#9 Hot Dog

Hot Dog

• Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Just out of curiosity, which cars in the OSW still have the 5.3? It can't be that many. I don't like the 5.3s because they just create unnecessary controversy in the division. That said, I don't think the 46 has that much of an advantage other than the driver. IMO, there's 4 other cars in the field that are every bit as fast as the 46 but three are rookies and I think the other is in his 2nd year. As those guys gain experience, the division will become much more competitive.

Edited by Hot Dog, 28 May 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#10 Crusty1

Crusty1

Race Fan

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

410 classes are getting smaller and smaller around Western PA.

It just cost way too much to put a 410 on the track.

The Alternative is the 305 Class, MRP and Sportsman are trying to make it work lets support the effort, is everything great? NO it's OK.

The OSW not to be confused with the 305 Racesaver  need a few new rules, add  weight if you run a 323 add weight if you run a different head, rotate the electronic box on the 323..... Let the racers and fans think your working on making it a level playing field.

When the 323's are gone - go to the Racesaver Rules.

It seems to me that the RACESAVER Rules are where you need to be.

If we want Sprint Car Racing to make it in Western PA we need to do something!

#11 3799

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

This controversy was started because of another track trying to use Mercer's rules without having the resources or knowledge to enforce them. The OSW class continues to grow at Mercer. We are averaging 20 cars per week. Vey few of the guys registered at Mercer with OSW do not race anywhere the rules require only 305 engines.

If the Schwanke 5.3 is such a dominating engine why wouldn't they buy that engine? Tim you are right the chassis is a Trevis Craft 39" car. Ron has worked with the Bauers to make the car work. He is giving them the same help he would give any OSW team that bought one of his cars. Why people overlook Ron Trevis to buy one of the mass produced national chassis instead of a custom built one from a local business makes no sense to me. Other than some of the cars are used when purchased.

Don Blackshear measured that engine as it was assembled this winter, and he sealed it. He is a nationally certified engine builder for several major series including NASCAR. As he told me is not gong to bring his reputation and business in jeopardy just to help some small local team cheat.

Crusty if and when the 5.3 are gone we will stay with our rules. Why let one guy who does not gave a dime invested in our program run it? Right now the 305 blocks are becoming scarce. That is why they just added a manufacturered block to their rules. The 5.3 are everywhere. Also the 305 engine can be 316 cubic inch engines. A New Racesaver engine is $15,000. A new Schwanke is $10,000.

Edited by 3799, 28 May 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#12 Crusty1

Crusty1

Race Fan

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Mercer and Sportsman are the only 2 tracks that run Sprint with a Schwanke.

If they are so great why hasn't any other track picked them up?

If MRP and Sportsman closed where would you run them?

#13 racer 141

racer 141

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

As the Director of Western Pa 305 after what happened on Sunday We are building 305 Class. In reviewing the 5.3 rules I cant see how they fit in our program. So I regret to say they cant compete at Sportsman. I want thank the Bauers for there support. Looking forwardto see Mike win every race at Merser. Walt Tutak Western pa 305s Director Fans come to the track We are lookig forward to your suport. Thanks Walt

#14 Hot Dog

Hot Dog

• Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

As the Director of Western Pa 305 after what happened on Sunday We are building 305 Class. In reviewing the 5.3 rules I cant see how they fit in our program. So I regret to say they cant compete at Sportsman. I want thank the Bauers for there support. Looking forwardto see Mike win every race at Merser. Walt Tutak Western pa 305s Director Fans come to the track We are lookig forward to your suport. Thanks Walt

Solved that problem.

#15 Crusty1

Crusty1

Race Fan

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

OK now other than MRP where can you run the Schwanke?

By the way I don't think Bauer is cheating with the OSW rules, I don't think the 323 belongs in a 305 class. 

I liked the Bauers but after watching them in action Sunday - OUCH!!!!

#16 Benny K

Benny K

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

The guys at Western PA 305's need to get involved with the Laurel highlands 305 group. They had 24 cars Sunday at Bedford.

#17 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Thats not going to leave many cars at knox then. A few weeks ago, the one heat was all 5.3's

#18 woodhog

woodhog

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Honestly though, we ran a 5.3 this year because we were just starting out. Right now its being prepared to be pulled out of the car. Something happened to one of the rear injectors causing a fuel leak resulting in my son getting burnt. Even if I did run it again, I would never trust it.

As far as racesavers, french is now enforcing a tire rule effective july 1

#19 James1684

James1684

Cool Newbie

• Member Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Mr Tutak how can you expect fans to come out and support your track when the features are smaller than any heat race at any other track? As a fan I would not spend my money there watching 5 car feature races when there are plenty of better options around, you should be trying to increase car counts not decimate them!

#20 Crusty1

Crusty1

Race Fan

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

What brand of tires?

I think French will make the best deal for the series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users