GM CT525 Mel Minnick Wins at Roaring Knob

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 superdirt

superdirt

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Mel Minnick won the Super Late Model feature last Saturday at Roaring Knob with a GM CT525 motor.    This motor can put racers back on the track and in victory lane with a reasonable cost!

Doug Ferrell

#2 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

As long as the promoters leave the water truck parked ....

#3 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

super dirt is alive!

#4 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Dump the water on .....Make it nice and Tacky!  Let the Big Hammers rule!  if you can't run with the Big Dogs....Stay on the porch!  If you can't afford the cost...run Limmited with a crate car with a 604 in it!  Congratulations to Mel Minnick!  He's a good old time racer!

#5 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

Express man make up your
Mind , you say a man can't afford to race a super late unless it pays 500 to start then in the next sentence you say if you can't afford to race on equipment shredding hammer down conditions run crates instead lol lol so which is it ??!

#6 Skull

Skull

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
  • Interests:I'm interesting

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

As long as the promoters leave the water truck parked ....

Just pave them all then, for Christ Sakes.

Why in the hell would you invest in an 800 H.P. motor to use a half or two thirds of it?

Yeah it's easy on the cars. That's real exciting for the fans. You know whats even easier on the cars? Leaving them in the garage, which is where they'll end up if all of the dirt tracks are the way you want them all the time.

#7 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

Skull , tracks can't afford to pay higher purses , fans can't afford to pay higher entry fees and people can't afford to replace cars and motors constantly. I'm not talking about me !!!!! I'm talking about guys with 1 car and 1 motor who can't afford another one !!! Without those guys you don't even have a race !!!! The biggest thing you can do to make racing about cubic dollars is making tracks hammer down .... The most discouraging thing you can do to the low dollar teams is make the track soooo damn fast that they run wide open and still get lapped ... You should just go to WOO sprint car races they always seem to make it hammer down and those guys race for a living and have 6 figure sponsors so they can afford it . Plus your willing to pay 35 to watch that instead of 15 at your local track. I
See no logical reason to purposely slant the playing field toward guys with mega horsepower at local shows with guys racing as a hobby.

#8 BUTTBEAK

BUTTBEAK

RAPIDIUSRIDICULOSIS's

• Members
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Painting Landscapes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Congrats to  Mel Minnick!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So :

You have more than one race ready engine?

You have more than race ready car?

You run low buck engines?

You don't want  poor  low buck teams to get discouraged?

You NET > a 6dig income?

You usually finish on the lead lap?

#9 superdirt

superdirt

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Car counts have been moving downward, especially this year.   Less than full fields for special events even.     Having rules for weekly/regional Super Late Models that only have unlimited motors written into the rules is not a good direction to be taking right now.     The unlimited motors can always be part of the rulebook, but weigth and spoilers allow more economical options.

This motor is part of the equation to get some teams back in Super Late Model racing.  It's fast enough with the spoiler and weight break, fans can't tell the difference (except looking at the spoiler).   It lasts without rebuilds.  Ronnie Johnson ran the same one for multiple seasons and won many times the cost of the motor in prize money including a $10,000 race in Alabama with a strong field.  There is still the high cost of tires, fuel, shocks and sometimes the cost of repairs from a mishap, but this motor is a good idea for tracks to embrace and make competitive.  Crate Late Model teams can move up to Super Late Model for about $7,000 more initial motor and necessary extras than a 604 motor.

In this area, I think there are only 6 tracks in WV and PA plus ULMS that allow this motor the correct weight break and spoiler to be competitive.   AMRA allows a weight break, but not the needed spoiler.  

The motor has also won a feature at Elkins this year.     This motor is winning now, so hopefully a few more teams will take notice and return or move up to Super Late Model racing.  

Doug Ferrell

#10 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Exactly correct Skull!  Why buy an 800 hp motor if you can't use it!    And Ice pond racing is boring!  If not  Like you said...Just pave them all and go from there!   Legend...... For the record...I posted what I think was a fair latemodel payout that racers could run for a while back!  I think I was at Like $1,000.00 to win and $200.00 to start!  And Like $400.00 for tenth!  Similiar to what Stateline is paying on weekly basis.  Take that big Clements piece up to Selinsgrove.  I think that is the biggest track in Pa.  According to Mapquest!  And its tacky!  See if you have what it takes to run with the "Big Dogs"  Hammer down!  If not...Maybe you should consider one of those 525 Motors!

#11 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

For the Record Legend.....Motors don't blow up because they are run on heavy tracks!  They blow up because of these reasons

1 lack of proprer Maintainence

2 Running the motor past lap limmit

3 Using old parts over again

4. Running too many rpms

5 Running in too cold conditions

6 Breaking a driveline part and over reving!

I have never blown an engine running fast heavy tracks!  Had them up to like 235 water temp on alcohol though!  If your piece is a weak dog....you'll find out in a hurry on a big fast tacky track!  But who's fault is that??? Yours!

#12 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Express Man for the record

1. My spec is a Clements not my open motors.

2. I don't need to go to seilinsgrove I'm going to eldora instead

3. Cold conditions aren't the problem it's incorrect tuning and failure to adjust for those conditions

4. I'm done arguing with morons your right the best way to increase car counts is to make tracks WFO all night !!!! Even better water the dog piss out of them and throw the green before they are even run in !!! That will really horn the fans !!! Talking to people on this board is kind of like
Smashing you dick in a steel door expecting pleasure .... Have fun watching 10 cars and being broke asses thinking you know anything about running business's .. Build it they'll come !!!!!! Just like Pittsburgh international air port !!!!!

#13 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

With all due respect which is not much ... your a fu%ing idiot !!!'

#14 CHEVY1A

CHEVY1A

Race Fan

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

For the Record Legend.....Motors don't blow up because they are run on heavy tracks!  They blow up because of these reasons

1 lack of proprer Maintainence

2 Running the motor past lap limmit

3 Using old parts over again

4. Running too many rpms

5 Running in too cold conditions

6 Breaking a driveline part and over reving!

I have never blown an engine running fast heavy tracks!  Had them up to like 235 water temp on alcohol though!  If your piece is a weak dog....you'll find out in a hurry on a big fast tacky track!  But who's fault is that??? Yours!

But you did run out of gas the only time you were leading a feature in your life at Thunder Valley when you forgot to fill up before the feature.

#15 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

But you did run out of gas the only time you were leading a feature in your life at Thunder Valley when you forgot to fill up before the feature.

Not true!  Never won a feature at TVR....but lead several .  Won lots of heats....  There were 8 complete restarts that night to get the original green in and 35 caution laps during that time!  I was on the point for all the restarts....so I was really hogging up the fuel starting the race each time!  Car was on Alcohol and had roughly 27 gallons in when it went out for a 25 lap feature!  Normal usage for 25 laps is 12-14 Gallon!  Depending on cautions!  Went in and put 5 gallon in and ran out again on last lap back up to fourth.  Finished fourth.  Would it of made it if it was completley full at 32 gallon??  Don't think so because It missed several caution laps when in pits getting fuel!  You can basically run 50 -55  green laps on 32 Gallon of Alcohol.  Didn't forget to fill it up!  Only had four fuel jugs or 20 gallon extra with us that night!  But under every other circumstance...it would have been more than enough!  Plus in those square cells...you usually can't get the last five gallons to pick up under power with car squated up on the bars!

#16 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

With all due respect which is not much ... your a fu%ing idiot !!!'

If that was intended for me....I'll take it as a Compliment ... comming from you!

#17 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Legend...perhaps you should think about about running Marioncenter! Track is smooth as glass.....but slick as the war memorial ice arena. Payout is low. Speeds are slow....lighting is dark! But I'll bet you could run your spec motor there and be competitive! Car count is fair! You might be a top five car there! It sounds like just the conditions you are looking for! I am amazed to hear your going to Eldora again! Isn't that a hammer down track?

#18 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Yes express man eldora is one of the fastest places in the country .... And so is Pittsburgh when it's hammer down ... I'm going with a 430 right off the dyno , with a 5.22 gear and an 8600 chip with no plans of lifting and every intention of being ON the chip entering 1 . Eldora is the Super Bowl , those conditions are no problem at crown jewel races , the have no place at local shows though . I ran in the 17's at Pittsburgh 10 years ago on old 55's because it's all I had , I'm not afraid to go fast fella ... And I've been going to Pittsburgh for 30 years and I don't recall ever hearing your name ...

#19 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Further more I haven't had a car that would turn well enough to run that fast since I sold that one ... And this one rotates like nothing I have ever felt ... A couple more shots at getting is where I need it and all of you clowns can suck my balls because I'll be screaming I fuKing told you soo

#20 speedster101

speedster101

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:titties & beer

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Lmao!!! That's good stuff right there. Do you put your little mechanics rug down next to the super late everyday facing west toward Eldora and pray while some idiot in a tower in your backyard yells various dirt track slang over a loud speaker? After all it is the Mecca.... Lmao!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users