Pittsburgh's Pennsylvania Motor Speedway
    PPMS, Dirt's Monster Half Mile, Racing every Sat Apr-Sept
    Home of the LOLMS Pittsburgher 100 & ASCOC Steel City Sprint Monster
    412-279-RACE www.ppms.com ppms@ppms.com

https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghsPennsylvaniaMotorSpeedway
    TWITTER @PAMotorSpeedway

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:13 AM

Racings biggest threat: The very people who love it the most

Grader, water truck and tower at Mudlick Valley Raceway (Wade Logan)

The million dollar question, Whats wrong with racing today?. Cost is an obvious issue, and an even easier answer. Some think greedy promoters, and overpowering series are a problem. They may be, they may not be. The truth is, we are the problem. The kind of people that love racing so passionately we would give anything to be at the track instead of being elsewhere. We spend our last dime to see a big race, have hundreds of dollars in apparel of drivers and events, and fight with others about weekend plans because we are definitely going to be at the races regardless of what they say.
Why? The age of communication, and the lack of will power to bite our tongues instead of putting a racetrack or a racer on blast for the world to see because of our great passion. Im 100% guilty of this myself over previous years, but I came to the conclusion that my internet tirades were pointless. I was going back the next week, so all I was doing was hurting the sport and the track that I love so dearly. Two weeks ago I was at a local track, not my home track, and not a track I frequent very often. They did the most bizarre, and disrespectful thing to the driver I was there supporting. It was awful, and extremely un-professional. I would have loved nothing more than to come home, get on Facebook and tell everybody that could see just how terrible it was. What would it have done for me? I wasnt going back, I knew the driver probably wasnt going back. What would I have to gain by trying to make them suffer?

We are the problem. If we could all collectively settle ourselves just long enough to take a breath and think, Is this really the right thing to do? Is it going to do me any good at all?, racing wouldnt be suffering quite as bad as it is. Are we 100 percent of the problem, lord no. But as we all watch the sport we love, that weve spent our lives following dwindle off to nothing, all we can do is hurt it with harsh and quick reactions. Fans, Drivers, Pit Crew Members, and even track staff are included. Every little nook and cranny of rules, procedures, or policies that tracks have to end up giving somebody the wrong end of the stick, eventually.

The absolute second it does, we blow up the internet like the world is going to end. And then we turn around, drive right back down that same road to the same racetrack we swore was the worst place in the country. And even go as far as to say Well Im going but I hope they dont have anybody there. How backwards is that? You want to go and pay your hard earned money to watch nobody race, have none of your friends there from over the years to socialize with? Sounds insane doesnt it? But its truthfully a weekly occurrence all over the country.

The worst part? 90 percent of it isnt of anything thats relatively important. We take a rainout policy that we didnt like and we act like a driver just got flipped over on purpose, and the promoter just looked on and started laughing at the guy as he was crawling from his destroyed car. Its madness. A rule thats been in place all season long, that everybodys been going by all year long bites the wrong guy, and the driver and all of the drivers fans just brutalize the track publicly. Whatever happened to just going elsewhere? Taking your business elsewhere is point enough without blowing up the internet with your negative thoughts.

Whats wrong with racing? I AM. But I wont be anymore, will you?

-Caring and loving fan of dirt racing.

This article was sent to us by an anonymous race fan who asked to have their identity concealed. The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, The DRC. Dirt Racng Channel

#2 rsadiedog

rsadiedog

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

AMEN! 

Nick Loffredo

#3 deadpush

deadpush

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

I agree that social media is out of control. People who are not active fans or participants can post their opinions, whether or not those opinions are right or wrong. This article is on target addressing that issue.

The constant criticism of PPMS is not really the issue. The constant criticism is a result of the observations of hundreds of loyal fans and competitors, who do not want to see the ultimate demise of PPMS. Most is this constructive criticism is well-founded by people who have had a role in the past success of PPMS as competitors and fans.

PPMS is on it's way down the tubes. The question is what is going to be done about this downhill slide to the ultimate demise of locked gates and one less place to race on Saturday nights.

I suggest that the management of PPMS move from defensive mode to "how are we going to save PPMS mode". Start by painting the wall and repairing the bleachers. Walk like you talk and get the repairs in progress. Show people that you mean what you say and that you care about your business and customers. Contact some of your competitors, past and present, and ask them for their suggestions about what you need to do to fix your broken race program. Set up a fan blog and ask "what does PPMS need to do to get you to come back next Saturday".

I was in the pits when PPMS ran it's first race and have witnessed the slow, steady decline of one of the crown jewels of racing. I am suggesting that this decline be reversed by taking a different approach and getting people to work together to make PPMS better. PPMS can be fixed and it is going to take the efforts of management, fans, and competitors working together to save it.

#4 Skull

Skull

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
  • Interests:I'm interesting

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

I wouldn't be worried when people are raising hell on here, Twitter and Facebook. I'd start to worry when nothing is said.

#5 blue by you

blue by you

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

I agree that social media is out of control. People who are not active fans or participants can post their opinions, whether or not those opinions are right or wrong. This article is on target addressing that issue.

The constant criticism of PPMS is not really the issue. The constant criticism is a result of the observations of hundreds of loyal fans and competitors, who do not want to see the ultimate demise of PPMS. Most is this constructive criticism is well-founded by people who have had a role in the past success of PPMS as competitors and fans.

PPMS is on it's way down the tubes. The question is what is going to be done about this downhill slide to the ultimate demise of locked gates and one less place to race on Saturday nights.

I suggest that the management of PPMS move from defensive mode to "how are we going to save PPMS mode". Start by painting the wall and repairing the bleachers. Walk like you talk and get the repairs in progress. Show people that you mean what you say and that you care about your business and customers. Contact some of your competitors, past and present, and ask them for their suggestions about what you need to do to fix your broken race program. Set up a fan blog and ask "what does PPMS need to do to get you to come back next Saturday".

I was in the pits when PPMS ran it's first race and have witnessed the slow, steady decline of one of the crown jewels of racing. I am suggesting that this decline be reversed by taking a different approach and getting people to work together to make PPMS better. PPMS can be fixed and it is going to take the efforts of management, fans, and competitors working together to save it.

very well said i could'nt agree more.

#6 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

That's like saying Israel is the reason for terror in the Middle East. There is only 1 people who has any prayer of making money in racing and that is the track owner if run correctly. It is not my customers responsibility to make sure I make money on their deck it's my responsibility to make sure the project is completed efficiently enough for me to profit and that the customer is happy enough to refer me.

#7 racer67x

racer67x

• Members
  • 2,447 posts
  • Interests:duh?

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:07 AM

so out of all the criticism and suggestions made in the thread last week this is your response? its the fault of the racers and fans themselves due to social media. you people are more far gone than I ever imagined..

#8 old man d

old man d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

Matt, i think the Racers and Fans have done their best to support your Track. Is it that hard to turn things around and make the repairs needed. I have brought friends and they all said this place is falling apart. That statement should mean something to you. 

#9 D1RT

D1RT

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

so out of all the criticism and suggestions made in the thread last week this is your response? its the fault of the racers and fans themselves due to social media. you people are more far gone than I ever imagined..

It's easier to blame everyone else than accept responsibility for your own actions and lack of pride in your facility.

Like the original thread said. Take your business and money else where.

It's obvious with the lack of fan and driver support that many have done just that.

Sadly it's also obvious that they really don't care.......

#10 Davesr14g

Davesr14g

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Matt what was the paint that was used on the fence?

#11 tdietz10

tdietz10

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

Racers blame the tracks, then the owners and promoters blame the racers lol.

#12 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

I don't even care about the paint , the boards , the payout, the attitude .... Is it too much to ask to not use 15 tear offs In 2 laps then drive the rest of the race with 1 hand smearing dirreah on your shield to maybe see ????? Having a relatively dry track and a car looking like a mud bog monster truck ??? Please explain why that clown floods the bottom and creates that moat ??? You need more cars .. Well that moat destroyed musolinos car at last years pittsburgher !! That's 1 less car !! I understand you say well don't drive through it .... And I don't but that doesn't stop the cars infront of me . That stupidity is the difference between me coming 15 times a year and me coming twice. Everyone who doesn't come has different reasons and 99% of the reasons wouldn't cost a dime to fix !!!

#13 Davesr14g

Davesr14g

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

when I read your post all I read is about you and the few others that complain all the time well I think the   other that enjoy racing and prefer to race there and adapt to what the track is that night. When you build a deck and run into a problem do you sit and complain or find away to work with it. Well racing is the same way the track is different in some ways every week. amazing people who goes to track must like everything about all the tracks one thing that is the same is the complaining. I don't like things there but I don't try and drive people away with the teenage bickering on here.

#14 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

Dave since 2001 every single day in some capacity I have worked to evolve my process and designs to make them more innovative, efficient , longer lasting and better looking. EVERY SINGLE DAY. When I go sleep I evaluate what happened that day and what I can do to improve upon it. As a result of this effort I am now more successful that I ever would have dreamed possible. When earl baltes started eldora back in the day he never dreamed of what it would become. To tell me that essentially a shit sandwich is a shit sandwich and I need to find something better tasting to wash it down with doesn't hold water with me. Life is too short to deal with epic stupidity, when it applies with me and surfaces it self it is sent packing. I'm not asking for 5k to win 500 to start weekly shows with free pit passes. Just simple common sense logic to be followed in all decision making. I don't want to see the place fail or I wouldn't have just taken 3 minutes out of my work day to respond.

#15 Vigoda Motorsports

Vigoda Motorsports

Race Fan

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Young movie starlets, acting in big budget Hollywood films, and Western Pennsylvania dirt track racing

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Wah. This is one of the most ridiculous topics in the history of the board. Matt is essentially blaming complaints by fans and racers for his own subpar performance as a track owner.

Do us a favor and sell the place Matt. You are terrible at your job.

Who wants an autograph?

#16 Davesr14g

Davesr14g

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

I look at it this way they own it and run it the way they feel it should be run. If I don't like it then I don't go ,offer help or go someplace else but I don't put  it on here we went through this a few years ago with most of the same people complaining. I've been racing at that track longer than most of them and I refuse to air my dirty laundry here so other will get a bad taste and not go. I saw you the first night and the last night you raced there and have no opinion on your racing be cause its yours just like it there track its there's. I will try and offer some help and keep it there why because its not about the money its about the people that race and the enjoyment of just having a good time.

#17 Chrome Horn

Chrome Horn

Race Fan

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

It's quite sad that all the 100 some posts we made on the other thread, many of which were suggestions or thoughts (all done in a civil manner mind you) that they post the fans are the issue. Someone told me that Matt posted on facebook one of the reasons he does not give away free tickets to groups is because he gave them to a car dealer and I guess they were in the parking lot handing them out to fans who had come to see the races, thus costing them thousands of dollars. To me it comes off as if the Mileys know Joe Dirt is coming to the track every week no matter what so they do not want Joe getting a free ticket because he was going to drop the 15 dollars regardless. What someone needs to make them see, their lack of business sense is that if Joe pays 15 to get in and does not spend another dime all you make from Joe is 15 dollars. If Joe gets in for free and spends 30 dollars on food and beer then you actually made 30 dollars not 15!! You gotta get the people inside, and more then likely they will spend money.

#18 GEARHEAD

GEARHEAD

• Members
  • 5,956 posts
  • Interests:LM Racing and rock/metal music

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

This is it exactly.  But when the track closes it will be the fans' and racers' fault because we gave constructive criticism for 20+ years.  I would have been embarrassed to post this response, it does not apply at all to PPMS. 

#19 Miley Motor Sports

Miley Motor Sports

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Racing every Sat night April thru September
    PPMS, Dirt's Monster Half Mile, Racing every Sat Apr-Sept
    Home of the LOLMS Pittsburgher 100 & ASCOC Steel City Sprint Monster
    412-279-RACE www.ppms.com ppms@ppms.com

https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghsPennsylvaniaMotorSpeedway
    TWITTER @PAMotorSpeedway

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

Sorry for the confusion Miley Motor Sports has caused by not properly representing this post. This post is from DRC, verbatim, nothing in the post are the opinions, views, or statements from any Miley Motor Sports ownership or employees. The DRC posted this an we shared it, period. We apologize for the confusion, we will be certain to give credit to the originator in the future. Thank You.
image_zpsa8zo9qxs.jpgs

#20 deadpush

deadpush

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

There was never any doubt in my mind as to who the author was and that the article came from DRC. I think that you have to ask yourself, that out of all of the articles that have been written about the state of short track racing today, you chose to post this article. Consider the activity of the past two weeks on this Racestud an intervention of sorts. All of this conversation has taken has taken place in the interest of the continuance of PPMS. Some of the criticism has not been positive or constructive, but most of it has been constructive and in the best interest of PPMS. These people posting on this board are your customers. I think that you should welcome all comments, whatever the content. PPMS is in the unique position of finding out "what is wrong", while they are still in business and have a chance to correct the problems. Remember, don't shoot the messenger, listen to the message and evaluate the information. Please listen to your customers while you still have them. All of this activity means that your customers still care deeply about the longevity of PPMS. I ask, "Do you"?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users