• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing...Beer & gas/oil collectibles

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

Not much change in the standings over the past week as most point leaders increased their lead. Especially Jack Sodeman, Jr. who won the Putsy Kekich Memorial at Mercer for a gain of 9 points in the Sprints and now has a 20 point lead.

Rex King, Jr, Max Blair and David Scott all increased their leads by 2-3 points.  

Limited Sprint Car leader Andy Priest lost 2 points with just a third at Mercer while Jacob Gomola had second place runs at Thunder Mountain & Pittsburgh with Priest now leading by ten.

In the Stock Cars last year's champ Chris Schneider won a $1,000 to win Penn-Ohio series race at Pittsburgh to cut five points off of Fuzzy Fields lead as Fields just had second place runs at Thunder Mountain and Hummingbird.  Fields now leads by three points, 51 to 48 with the rest of the front runners back in the 30 point range.

Big weekend coming up for the Modifieds with BRP races on tap Saturday and Sunday at Mercer and Tri-City.  Could shake up the race between Rex King, Jr. and New York invader Erick Rudolph, who leads the BRP points!!  Mat Williamson, Garrett Krummert, Jeremiah Shingledecker and Rex King round out the top six in Cavalcade Points for the Modifieds.

GOOD RACING TO ALL!!!

Walt  

#2 bomber315

bomber315

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

So what is the deal with this points system? Is there actually some type of payout? or is it just something you do for fun?   Does #1 cochran sponsor it with actual cash?

#3 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

No $$$$ involved!!  Just honor of being top area driver in class. Winner gets a plaque, that is it.   Points have been kept since 1973 in conjunction with my columns in the various trade papers starting with the old CAVALCADE OF AUTO RACING for which they are named.

GOOD RACING!!!

Walt

#4 kinsernut63

kinsernut63

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:anything dirt or nitro

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

Your hard work is well appreciated Walt.

nitro

#5 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

THANK YOU!!!!     I enjoy sharing my poinst with you guys!!

GOOD RACING!!!

Walt

#6 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

I too like reading who you have for your points

You alter your points input per payout.  Here's something you might want to include in your calculations.   :)

Give more points for races with back gate entrance fee's the highest and also give less points when there are more then 5 types of racing on the card.  

The logic being only high dollar big buck equipment is likely to show up for high dollar back gate cost races, including join my club to play, speck this and that with mandatory this and that, and registration fee's up the racers butts.  And tracks with 5 or more types of cars racing are more likely to have more low buck back marker racing, even if they also have high back gate cost.   :)

edit: yeah dumb, stupid and it doesn't make any sense, but I'll leave it up here anyway as an as usual post

Edited by dirtstudent2, 11 August 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#7 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

Walt, who is your all time drivers in sprints, mods and late model ? Being that you started this in 73 I think people may be surprised. Have you kept a top 5 driver in each class over the course of you doing this.?

#8 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:47 PM

Lou Blaney is by far the all time Cavalcade winner, winning the Modified points 16 times!!!  He also won the Sprint points four of the first five years (1973-77)

In the Sprints, Ed Lynch, Jr. has the most with 7 over Johnny Beaber with 6.

In the Late Models it is Bob Wearing with 7, one up on Dick Barton and Robbie Blair with 6 each.

GOOD RACING!!!!

Walt

#9 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:53 AM

The name that surprised me there was Beaber. I no he raced lernerville, and yes won a lot of races there. Did he also run mercer and tri city ? In today's racing the sprint car guys as a group seem to be the largest group running multiple nights a week.

#10 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

Beaber often ran three nights a week back then!!

Walt

#11 Crew13

Crew13

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Racin, Football,Hiking

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

Dick Barton was a surprise for me, I was thinking Glenn Gault and maybe even Steve Peles would be there in the Late Models after Wearing.

#12 Walt Wimer

Walt Wimer

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

Glenn Gault won the Cavalcade Points twice, 1990-91 and Peles won the honor in 1987, the year after Barton won it for the first time.  Charlie Cragan beat them both, winning the honor three times 1992-94.

GOOD RACING!!!

Walt

#13 kinsernut63

kinsernut63

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:anything dirt or nitro

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Beaber often ran three nights a week back then!!

Walt

I remember when he was driving the Zeigler car, we would go to Buckeye almost every week.  The good ole days

nitro

#14 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

Forgot all about Charlie Cragan.

#15 sundance

sundance

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:59 AM

Interesting stuff

#16 23jrfan

23jrfan

• Members
  • 1,152 posts