Photo

8th Annual Ed Laboon Memorial Up Next At PPMS!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

8th Annual Ed Laboon Memorial Presented by STAAR Logistics and STAAR Lubricants Up Next at PPMS

For immediate release,

Imperial, PA

Join us at PPMS this Saturday, June 1, 2019, for the 8th Annual Ed Laboon Memorial presented by STAAR Logistics and STAAR Lubricants for the Homak Penn Ohio Pro Stocks. The Pro Stocks will have Penn Ohio rules with open tires, any compound. The 8th Annual Ed Laboon Memorial is the highest paying Pro Stock race in the 40-year history of the speedway. The Race pays $4017 to win, $200 to start, along with the Dobs Auto Non-Qualifiers Race, paying $517 to win, $100 to start, with no entry or registration fees. PPMS will also be featuring, the Diehl Automotive RUSH Late Model Dirt Series, the Keystone Coach Works Hobby Stocks, the Four Cylinders, and the Young Guns. Gates open at 5 p.m., hot laps begin at 6 p.m., and the racing action begins at 7 p.m. Visit our website for pricing and tickets.

The addition of the STAAR Companies as presenting sponsors has enabled the Ed Laboon Memorial grow to a record payout near $20,000. "I began discussing this partnership with the Gordon family in March and was very impressed with their services, products and love for racing," stated race promoter Vince Laboon. "I wanted to grow this race even more in 2019 and STAAR has stepped up to make that happen. STAAR has been a part of the local and national racing scene for over 30 years and it just seemed like a natural fit."

Im excited to become part of the Ed Laboon Memorial," explained Todd Gordon, CEO STAAR Companies earlier this year. "STAAR Lubricants Trick Shot currently sponsors the Rick Ware Racing #52 Chevrolet in the NASCAR Xfinity Series and this partnership allows us to grow our brand in the local dirt racing scene as well and I really like that.

Both companies are located in Reynoldsville, PA. STAAR Lubricants Trick Shot is a high-performance penetrating lubricant that unlocks seized parts, prevents and breaks rust loose, fights corrosion, long-lasting lubrication, protects, cleans, and is a green product. It is 100% biodegradable, non-toxic, food safe, non-flammable and safe for the environment. The products primary focus is the industrial user who requires a high-performance eco-friendly product that is both safe for their employees, the environment, waterways, and meets corporate sustainability initiatives. Be sure to "like" their product page Trick Shot Lubricants on Facebook.

This will be the 8th edition of the popular Ed Laboon Memorial Race. Past winners include, Bob Schwartzmiller (28S), Jeff Broniszewski (08), Curt Bish (29), Rusty Martz (16M) (two times), Todd Weldon (45), and Chris Schneider (55). Ed Laboon was a life-long supporter of local dirt track racing. Ed raced in the 70s and 80s, was a crew member of the Mileys for many years, and owned many cars for his family and close friends. Ed passed in 2012 after a battle with lung cancer.

The Penn Ohio Pro Stock Series continues to grow thanks to the support of Homak Manufacturing. "Homak has been the corporate sponsor of the Series since its inception in 2014, proclaimed Series Director, Shaun Hooks. We are truly fortunate to have such a great company backing what we love to do. Without their support and the support of so many returning sponsors, our goal to give back to the drivers and expand the Series into what it is today would not be possible.

Additional Series returning sponsors include Wrapz by Reiser, Hoosier Tire, Precise Racing Products, American Racer, Lias Tire, E & K Equipment, Timber Lake Lodge, Les Frickshun, SS Chassis & Supply, Bish Heating & Cooling, Dirt Defender LLC, Close Racing Supply, R & R Enterprise Auto Sales & Garage, Blue Ox Timber, Big Daddys Speed Center, Wedge Motorsports, Genesis Racing Shocks, ARbodies, Jacobs Towing, Phantom Signs & Shirts, and Animal Graphics & Signs.

We were able to add more contingency prizes for each race, as well as the banquet with the addition of sponsors in the racing industry, boasted Shaun Hooks. Joining the team of sponsors in 2019 is: Joe Willcox Performance Automatics, Ultra Shield Race Products, and STAAR Lubricants Trick Shot.

Please contact Promoter Vince Laboon with any questions leading up to the event at 412-396-9138 or racer17v@yahoo.com

Special thanks to the ELM Platinum Sponsors: Horhut Tree Experts, US Flow, West Mifflin Collision, Penn Ohio Pro Stock Series, Ground Effex Landscaping, Lias Tire, Loose Moose Saloon, Kyle Shannon Racing, Animal Graphics & Signs, and Supercuts Whitehall.

Thanks to all sponsors of the race: Brandon McClintock, Three Rivers Karting, Tri State Motorsports, Cleetus Motorsports, SS Chassis, AJ Poljak Racing, Rebel Yell Motorsports, Matt Miley, 93X Race Team, Anarchy Kustoms, Imperial Tire & Automotive, Hunkele Family, Gary Smith, Jim Bryce, Schirnhofer Racing, Koteles Racing, Damage Inc Racing, RUSH Pro Stock Series, Jessie Brock Racing, Steigerwald Racing, Schwarzl & Loria Motorsports, Greg Wheeling, Robertson Racing, Melissa Steffey Team with Jeffrey Costa Select Realty, 221K Race Team, Doug Clark, James Huff, Stacie White in memory of Willie White, The Dirt Network, KL Appraisal Services, Brian Osborne, Lynnwade Pressure Washing, FK Enterprises, Heather Vandriak, Jim Fosnaught Racing, Weldon Racing, Manieckis 1st Racing, DuratZbilt Racing, Haught Shot Services, Robert Betz Racing, and Imperial Heights Garage.

Payout Info
8th Annual Ed Laboon Memorial

1st $4,017
2nd $2000
3rd $1000
4th $800
5th $700
6th $600
7th $500
8th $450
9th $400
10th $350
11th $300
12th $275
13th $250
14th-16th $225
17th-28th $200

TOTAL $14,717

Dobs Non-Qualifier Race Payout

1st $517
2nd $225
3rd $200
4th $175
5th $160
6th $150
7th $140
8th $130
9th $120
10th-28th $100

TOTAL $3,717

Contingencies

Fast Time---- $100
Fast Dash---- $200
Hard Charger---- $100

TOTAL PAYOUT $18,834

Attached Files

Edited by Racer17L, 27 May 2019 - 10:37 PM.

#2 2930

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:53 AM

How many laps will the race be this year? Ive heard a few different things, Im curious to see what was decided on. Please update everyone when you get a chance. Thanks for all your hard work that you put into this race Vince.

#3 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

Hi, it will be 30 laps. 30 was the number most people were comfortable with and I dont want to worry about motors and giving guys a reason not to make the trip. Thanks.

#4 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Really only 30? if they're worried about an extra 10 laps on the motor and they should run the non-qualifiers race as it would be more suitable to their motor in my opinion.

#5 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

When I raced weekly and big shows I always wanted as many laps as possible. Guys just think PPMS is tough on motors but in my opinion it will be slick with all of the laps on the track that day, not hammer down conditions so...? All I can do is listen.

#6 DavyLee2

DavyLee2

• Members
  • 3,369 posts
  • Interests:racing/music/billiards

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

When you say “ all the laps on the track “
What order will they run your race
Don’t they put you up front and run your main first I thought ?

#7 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

Yeah but you have hot laps for 55 cars, qualifying for 55 cars, 6 heat races, 3 b mains, a dash, plus the hot laps and heats for the other divisions. Its not like youre expecting hammer down conditions and a cushion by 930 pm.

#8 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Really only 30? if they're worried about an extra 10 laps on the motor and they should run the non-qualifiers race as it would be more suitable to their motor in my opinion.

30 laps on this track is like 50 on other POPS tracks.   Don't take this wrong Vince...but you should turn off this message board and run the race the way you think best!!  Your not gonna make everybody happy (including me) so why try.  I can't imagine the work that goes into this type of event, and it gets better every year!!  Everybody think Sunshine!!! 

#9 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

Thanks man and yes good weather please!!!

#10 honeybadger1

honeybadger1

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:38 AM

LMAO all these bleacher creatures arguing about how many laps a race will have even though they have no dog in the fight....

See what happens when allow for input from the "common folk"? lol you do you!  great event, great job, can't wait.

#11 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

He works all year to have this show. Wish I could make it up, but hitting a lucas race down here on the 11th. Hope you fill the pits with cars and the stands with butts Vince. Your dad has to be looking down with a smile. A tip of my hat to you for good weather and a good race.

#12 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

I actually don't mind the debates, helps me hear the other side of things.  Trust me in now 8 years as these rules, tires, motors, spoilers, etc have evolved I've heard it all!  Thanks!

#13 honeybadger1

honeybadger1

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

I actually don't mind the debates, helps me hear the other side of things.  Trust me in now 8 years as these rules, tires, motors, spoilers, etc have evolved I've heard it all!  Thanks!

You are a better man than I good sir!

#14 old man d

old man d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

Vince, I have been to the ELM and all was had a great time. I have much respect for and the hard work you put into this  race along with the Penn- Ohio Series. Hope this is a huge success.

#15 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

LMAO all these bleacher creatures arguing about how many laps a race will have even though they have no dog in the fight....

See what happens when allow for input from the "common folk"? lol you do you!  great event, great job, can't wait.

I believe these bleacher creatures and common folks are the ones who put up money out of their wallet or business to help support this race. So if you don't think they should have any input into this event maybe they should just keep their money in their wallet or bank account and not support the race. Just let anybody who is behind the wheel to put out the money into the purse. I think that would solve everything on both sides then.

#16 honeybadger1

honeybadger1

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

I believe these bleacher creatures and common folks are the ones who put up money out of their wallet or business to help support this race. So if you don't think they should have any input into this event maybe they should just keep their money in their wallet or bank account and not support the race. Just let anybody who is behind the wheel to put out the money into the purse. I think that would solve everything on both sides then.

If people want to go watch this race they will, if not, they won't.  Does it matter if it is 30 or 40 or 50 laps?  I doubt that.  Yet, people love their $0.02 because they think it's important.

#17 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

I'm pretty sure he meant folks on the Stud that live under an alias and start trouble.  I assure you I've talked with sponsors and fans alike.  Any fan will want a 40 to 100 lap race I'm sure but everyone understands why some guys don't feel they can last 40 or more laps on a big half mile.  So I'd rather compromise than lose say 10 drivers who have supported me every year.  It's always a give and take, like rule changes.

#18 Sparkler

Sparkler

Race Fan

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure he meant folks on the Stud that live under an alias and start trouble.  I assure you I've talked with sponsors and fans alike.  Any fan will want a 40 to 100 lap race I'm sure but everyone understands why some guys don't feel they can last 40 or more laps on a big half mile.  So I'd rather compromise than lose say 10 drivers who have supported me every year.  It's always a give and take, like rule changes.

I don't think half the drivers are physically fit to handle a 40 lap race. How many 100-lap races does Michael Lake enter? Eventually your body wears out if your not in shape.

#19 honeybadger1

honeybadger1

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

I don't think half the drivers are physically fit to handle a 40 lap race. How many 100-lap races does Michael Lake enter? Eventually your body wears out if your not in shape.

OUCH .. how much you weigh sparklie?

#20 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

Eventually and Lake should not be in the same sentence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users