You heard it here first and it's original and my theory idea

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:39 AM

I've been wanting to post this for a few years now being old and wanting to get credit for stuff and theory no one would believe originated with me.

So here is something you may find interesting.

As I like to say I hope what I just wrote with my morning coffee is an enjoyable read.

Except for two things and the obvious aero issues a winged sprint car would be the perfect oval race machine.

The first is the driver is not completely secure unless the right front tire is engaged with the track or on the ground.

The second is something inherent to all oval race cars which use a solid axle and stagger to help them rotate in turns.

That is at the moment of turn in the exact time the driver touches the steering wheel because the left rear shock is generally tied down, the shock connection to the left end of the axle because the chassis instantaneously per dynamic weight transfer right is operated to the right.

The tied down shock connection then lifts the left end of the axle and the left rear tire is unloaded.

The problem cannot be totally fixed but if you can cause a delay in the lifting of the left end of the axle you can have an advantage at the moment of turn in and an instant later.  At racing speeds sometimes reaching 150 mph at the end of the straight, that instant can create a huge racing advantage.

Over the last few years I have passed on this idea to some notable national crew chief and in charge type national team members so it may already be something either tried or being used which is generally not known,

When using a tied down shock there are only two ways to delay the lifting of the left end of the axle at the moment of turn in.

The first is to make the connection between the axle and an end of the shock via the longest levers possible.

I have been working on that aspect for 10 years or more with the general result of study being to put the shock which makes the connection between the chassis and the left end of the axle on the right rear of the car.

It would be done by connecting the left side to the right side via left torsion arm across the back via a stiff torsion bar or other mechanical means, to a second torsion arm on the right operating the shock coil over combo.

My latest design would not use a stiff torsion bar across the back but instead a tube housing the right torsion bar to transmit motion across the back.

Someone years ago suggested to me the right side coil over shock combo could be mounted flat angled to the front instead of up and down on the right side.  That mounting idea allowed for additional ways to construct the mechanics of it until my thoughts switched to a tube to transfer motion across the back.

The second way to delay the unloading of the left end of the axle at the moment of turn in was offered to me by my mechanical engineer close friend and consult of over 20 years who recently passed away. At some point during one of my many discussions with him over the years about my idea to delay via longer levers he instructed me that the only other way to do it was by putting slop into the mechanics.

That gave to me two possibilities of delaying the unloading of the left end of the axle, the first being longer levers and the second being using slop in the mechanics.

There is now a third way to do it and it is the idea I have passed on to some notable national winged sprint car persons.  

They will know this long winded bs'ing person remembering my offering to them when they read this.

The idea started maybe 3 or 4 years ago at the Dirt World Finals talking with the national shock rep always there at Charlotte.

Sorry this old mind does not remember the shock brand but it was what I perceived as the main offering of advice there at Charlotte.

I discussed my idea for delaying the unloading of the left rear of a winged sprint or other staggered solid axle racer with the rep.

To my surprise he explained to me what Lates were already doing to some extent on the right front corner of the car.

He showed me how they now offer a shock for right front corners of Lates which already had a dead or non working portion of the shock to delay the unloading of the right front on Lates any time the car started to come off the bars on the back.

In the discussion I immediately because of years of research already done went to the need to use the same shock with a non working portion or distance of travel on the left rear corner of a winged sprint car and/or maybe any staggered solid axle oval racer.

Here's where I stand on it now with the slop needed and introduced to me by my engineer friend being located in the operation of the left rear shock.

In a nut shell the non working distance would be set or distanced to be incorporated into the working of the shock rubber already used on the left rear corner.

It means when the left rear corner is put down on the shock rubber and a non working built in portion of the shock, at the moment of turn in the controlled shock rubber and tensioning of the left rear corner would first be extended via the non working part of the shock helping to hold the left rear tire on the track a moment longer.  

If perfect which it will probably never be the additional moment of left rear tire engagement might be long enough to allow winging over to maintain left rear tire engagement through out the moment of turn in.

At racing speeds at the end of the straight just a snap of the fingers more of left rear tire engagement may be enough to give you or your driver an advantage.

In racing all anyone is always looking for is a snap of the fingers advantage over your competition. 

... let the slings and arrows so often found on this begin.  ... :)  

Edited by dirtstudent2, 05 February 2023 - 01:37 PM.

#2 dirtstudent2

dirtstudent2

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 01:33 PM

One thing's for sure.

If my idea/theory is a dumb idea/theory then it's a for sure nobody else is going to try to take credit for it. ... :) 

edit:  Editing and adding to this last post so not to throw at this site another post:

Have you ever sat on the front stretch and watched Left Rear tires of especially Winged Sprints and Emods/Modifieds on the back stretch just before turn in to the turn?

Have you noticed how at the exact moment the driver of the Winged Sprint or Emod touches the wheel to turn left starting into turn 3 the bottom of the left rear tire pops up or expands upward?

If you have that is exactly what I'm explaining needs to be delayed by even an instance or a snap of the fingers.

Yes there were and are masters of carrying the left rear tire compressed farther into the turn 3 which your able to see.

A racing friend especially especially good at entering turn 3 at Port Royal, who I had the pleasure of discussing this with on more then one occasion, was one of those masters.

During my last conversation with him about it he explained to me that when he carried it smoothly on the left rear too far into the turn it pushed when he needed to turn down onto the straight in turn 4.

The point and the input of words being when the driver touches the wheel to start turn in if the LR is tied down the LR tire will instantly go into a state of reduced grip until mechanical chassis action puts the LR tire back down.

Increase the time or instant needed to unload the LR tire at turn in an you will gain a racing advantage. 

Edited by dirtstudent2, 05 February 2023 - 03:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users