• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 sammie

sammie

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

anybody heard anything on the rules for next year? it would be nice to know so we have time to prepare.leave the rules alone. that would be great too that way i can build a motor to at least be close to the front. Everyone knows that it is a three to five truck fight to win its ben that way for a couple years they are great guys they help all others out when ever they need a push or a tool or just advice.all i ever hear is you need a better setup well i have race for more than 20 years won many races and that is flat out the BIGGEST PILE OF BS i ever heard you do not out handle some one down the strait a way . but that is way it is now. i does not bother me i am trying to build a motor so we need to know how big i need to build it.and not change the rules by adding a some thing to restict the motors in dec. or jan. thats to late dont have time or money to waste the off season is short when you got a small budget to get ready for next year. all we need is some one to make up there mind YES or NO please.

#2 JRide

JRide

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

Just hide a nitrous bottle in the frame rail, that should fix your problems lol

2nd is the first loser

#3 Fatmatt

Fatmatt

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Dah, Racing

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Talked to Dan Kelly after last race, and said he would like to have a rules meeting sometime soon after banquet.

"Fat"Matt Twining 1W

#4 Racer31

Racer31

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Sammie, Matt is right. We hope to have something set up shortly after the awards banquet. I sent contacted Greg and Tami via their email last night trying to set up something to discuss our plans. Please keep in mind I understand 100% where you are coming from with the "need to know" basis but we want to make sure we (core group of Greg, Tami, myself and Gerry) have a chance to discuss our vision of WRP for next season. At that point we will then either announce a meeting with different classes or we will announce our rules. Either way we hope to have that information to you before you December timeframe. As for a schedule for next season that won't come out until after the first of the year I'm sure. We have to survey what our best options are based on several things that include other big races in the area, other events in the area and other tracks scheduling. We do try our best to make decisions based on a bunch of data and research. Racing is a fun but tough sport to juggle many different things and create a nice balance of value and reward for both the fans and the racer but we promise you that WRP will always consider all avenues. As you know we always have an open ear and do our best to listen to all sides of discussions. We look forward to our celebration of the top 10 drivers and crews in all divisions on November 5th. See you there!!

Edited by Racer31, 06 October 2011 - 08:43 PM.

Danny Kelly

#5 goober25g

goober25g

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

I totally agree, if i didn;t coast through the corners imagine how fast I'd be lol. Um I gotta tell ya that with the low hp four bangers we run if you can't keep the throttle down in the corner your screwed. we're not drag racing. The reason me and my brother are running up front is were putting down all our motors have 90% of the time in the corners. check out our in truck cams on youtube. Listen to the engines in the corners. If you can't get into through and out of the corners, unless you a have a shit ton more hp you are gonna be slow. Almost every pass I make is coming out of a corner. That's come's from caring the speed in the corners. If you slow and your not changing your set up, you got no one to blame but yourself. If you watch us at all you would see us checking tire temps and air pressure. Then we change shocks, wieght jack, offsets, tire compounds, and air pressure to improve the handle. It would be a hell of a lot more easy to just drive the trucks the same setup on em, but we can't. This is how you get fast. Save your money on the BIG motor and buy some shocks a pyro gauge and some scales. And as always if you want a hand or suggestion give me a haller, I will help any way I can. Gabe Twining driver of the 25G truck :blink:

#6 sammie

sammie

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

i believe that you work hard on your set up other teams do to . Are you really going to try and tell people you do not have a big motor then that means that only just a couple trucks have the secret set up . I bet you believe that nobody can hear your little motor because it sounds just like all the other ones LOL. The main thing i am trying to say is i do not care i love big motors when i raced we had the biggest we could find. I just want to know the rules for the next year. They were talking about a change they said there will be some change. I want to build a big motor they sound cool. But i do not want to wast money if they change the rules. I would rather they leave the rules alone and lets party. Like the motor man said SPEED COST MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!!!

#7 JRide

JRide

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:25 AM

I may be very new to the truck scene, but i have raced the past 5 years. i got blamed for having a illegal engine ALL THE TIME, because people saw how much faster i was down the straightaways. In hindsight, looks like you have some big, badass engine and thats why you're smoking those people. In all actuallity, it's the handling that did it because if i can go 5 or 10 mph faster in the corner, you better bet that will translate down the straights. There is no replacement for displacement, and having the most powerful engine most certainly is helpful, but if you have 10 or 20 more HP and suffer in your handling, it's kinda null and void. I know I have to work on my setup more to improve but until then I really won't know what the frontrunners have on me engine wise.(to understand where you're coming from)

Edited by JRide, 15 October 2011 - 03:26 AM.

2nd is the first loser

#8 sammie

sammie

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I want everyone that reads this to Know i am not complaining. my driver did great with what we had . handling plays a great part . I had some of the best teams on dirt around here giving me tips we changed shocks we changed offsets tire sizes and air pressure even changed the angle of the shock mounts and their placement . we only raced 7 times, by the end he never had to lift. Working hard on your truck is part of the fun of what we do. But everyone knows that if you're not up near the front and have a CHANCE to win or even a top 5 after a while, the fun goes away. We will be there some day but we ran a bone stock and i mean we had at most 90 to 100 hp I would be willing to bet anything that the trucks up front at least double that . Everyone knows the web and the part stores like esslinger where you can buy anything your wallet can afford. the bad thing is my wallet is not that big. thats for a ford but chevy its a little harder, the parts are harder to find you have to get a little more creative a lot of it is knowing where to cut in the new key ways in your cam gears or know a machine shop to make new parts. The track does not have the time or resources or man power to tech the support classes. i dont believe they want the headache. I dont know if they understand how serious the smaller classes take their racing. some believe we are out just for fun . we are serous and every one wants to win!

#9 racer50

racer50

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Their are Top Dogs in every class Compacts through Nascar. You said my driver did great with what we had, and thats what it is all about. Don't ever spend more than you can afford , that will take the fun out of racing quicker than anything. Our biggest goal in racing is to get better every week, always doesen't happen but that is what we strive to do.

Don Noffsinger

#10 goober25g

goober25g

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I hope you dont spend a on of money on a big motor. We don't. My brothers motor was apart two yrs ago and with the same parts in mine we have been very competive. Cheap 350 claimer flat top pistons and an after market cam. Nothing even close to exotic. And that was my point in the earlier reply. Heck my head came off a motor with 191000 miles on it, and the valves are still hanging tough. If your gonna run a chevy again next yr I do know where there's a good engine for 300 bucks. flat top pistons and performance cam in it. Looking forward to next yr

#11 Racer31

Racer31

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

I will say this from a personal standpoint. I have been in the shoes of the person that everyone complained about as cheating and I have been in the shoes of the person that has their truck handling perfect but still gets beat. Now I am in the shoes of race director and trying to keep a class thriving. First of all I do understand how much time effort and research the "support" class racers put into racing......I've been there and always will be at heart. Now I must say this also: Even when I was down on my luck racing I could always go to anyones pit and ask them a question and get an honest answer. When I say honest I mean they will answer the exact question that you ask.....nothing more or nothing less. On the same token you could ask anyone in that pit in the truck class for help and they will drop everything to help you out. I'm sure there are other classes that will do that same thing too. It's not rocket science of who we are talking about because there have only been two family's that have won a truck a-main in the last couple of years and that is Hicks,Twining and Jacobs (part of the Hicks family). Does that mean they are cheating or have built monster engines...not at all. What I see is that they have been in this class for many years and have spent many $$$$$ on blown engines over the years experimenting on what combinations work and what don't. That is because they chose to experiment. Now if you want to stay within your means and build a durable but competitive top 5 truck then you can do that easily also. Now since I've said that you might also want to consider that there are other trucks that are coming on but haven't won yet such as Jerry Butler, Brian Beach, Roy Miller and a few others. My point is that every class has a group of cars that are in the top 2-3 every week unless something happens. Then you have a group of racers that run 4-10 every week and are a tight pack. Finally you have the guys that just are enjoying the fact that they can make their dreams come true and race as a hobby and we all love them and always root for them to do well! You won't jump into this class and win instantly as long as the guys that have put the many years of experience in it are still racing. However you can win a points race against them! Sure we all want to curb costs and would like to see 20 trucks racing 4 wide for 15 laps, but in reality it's just like life and business some people do better because they put in the effort, time and reserach. Sammie, I know your truck will be competitive only because of your years of racing knowlege. There is no majic button to push in this truck class and that is what makes it unique. We have Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Dodge and Mitsubishi to choose from and they all have their pros and cons. Some run Fuel injected with computers still and others run carburation. The possibilities are endless. As for making one rule that will cure it all......not going to happen. We will still try our best to keep people within reasonable expenditures as best as we can.

Danny Kelly

#12 JRide

JRide

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

well said

2nd is the first loser

#13 sammie

sammie

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for your input Dan. This year we cant afford a monster motor because we put our money in a another truck that i feel has better more ways to adjust we are building a new motor well were not Brent is he said a good cross between power and duribilty on a budgit. but you and everyone knows witch way the rules go makes a deferant way to build the motor we looking to start top 10 then top 5 hope before end of year mabey pull off a W. Everone wants to win it just be better for the whole class if more people ran even in the top 3 you and i both know a lot of trucks quit coming because they did not even have chance after a lot of work. I just think the class is great even looks cool want to see it grow needing a B main. But i do not see that happening if know one feels they cant even have a chance to win before they get to the track. All the other guyes you wrote about did great one they will even tell you 6 or 700 dollars did not get them that where there at and two they put up a good fight. mabey some new will win next year.

#14 injunear

injunear

Early, Tenured Member

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:FAST race cars.... ummm,, errrr, really FAST 4 cylinder trucks!;

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for your input Dan. This year we cant afford a monster motor because we put our money in a another truck that i feel has better more ways to adjust we are building a new motor well were not Brent is he said a good cross between power and duribilty on a budgit. but you and everyone knows witch way the rules go makes a deferant way to build the motor we looking to start top 10 then top 5 hope before end of year mabey pull off a W. Everone wants to win it just be better for the whole class if more people ran even in the top 3 you and i both know a lot of trucks quit coming because they did not even have chance after a lot of work. I just think the class is great even looks cool want to see it grow needing a B main. But i do not see that happening if know one feels they cant even have a chance to win before they get to the track. All the other guyes you wrote about did great one they will even tell you 6 or 700 dollars did not get them that where there at and two they put up a good fight. mabey some new will win next year.

Didn't quit here, because of not having a chance.

And, I believe that NEW COMPETITION will appear this coming year. Work Hard, good LUCK, BE VERY SAFE, and have FUN. That's what racing is about.... Winning is just a bonus.

The WildWon

#15 goober25g

goober25g

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

I didn't get a W til my fourth season. I didn't evencare about a win. I just loved racing. Never considered giving up. Even when That darn 31 kicked my tail week in and week out. lol He didn't even waive as he lapped me. The truck class was looking great at last third of the season with some old trucks coming back and some fresh faces. My only win came at the last race, alot of which is because I was trying to get the new truck to handle, I never changed anything on the motor yet I got faster, and that's my point. I don't want anyone to quit, and that is why we try to help out our fellow racers as much as possible. The old man had 6 different drivers in his truck this yr, two of which was to have them test the water in the truck class. One bought a truck a few weeks later to race next yr. My point is we want 30 trucks at the track every week. I hope we have the rules meeting soon and if any changes happen everyone can live with them. The truck class is a nightmare when it comes to regulating and I don't envy Dan and the track at all. We'll see soon enough. Looking forward to next year.

#16 Austin

Austin

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

the problem with the truck counts is that many people are putting so much money into a four cylinder, that they can buy a stock car or lower budget mod. Plus stock cars are a more "popular" class, so there will always be new guys that are biased towards them, because they compare with the classical cars. Stock cars are in a way looked at as a "hot rod" because they sound cool, and represent(well some do, others have aftermarket bodies) the older style camaro's, montes, etc. With guys being able to put together a motor by themselves these days, they can build v8 motors that cost the same as it does to match a competitive four cylinder. Just look at the number of guys that are running stocks and mods now that were in trucks. Crossley, Higbea, Twining, Sutters(eric doesnt race anymore, but they still sold to buy stock/mod), Noffsinger, Shockency, and im sure others

#17 sammie

sammie

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I dont really agree with that i built stock car motors and a lot of modified motor and if you want to COMPETE not run around back of the pack. You will spend more on just the heads than a 4 banger.You can build a 6 or 8 thousand dollar motor in mod try to keep up good luck with that. Racing cost money in what ever class you run. Im trying to race in a class where on a small bubget you will have a chance to win not that you do win. but you know that if everthing goes right when you unload you have real chance your not there just to run around in circles Being in the hunt banging doors looking for the lead try to get every drop out of your race car. NOW THATS THE RUSH EVERYONE WANTS thats why you work on it all week spend money you really shouldnt week after week!

#18 racer50

racer50

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

Austin not trying to tell you you don't know what your talking about but you don't know what your talking about. A decent stock car motor is at least $4000 - $6000 a decent mod motor is $6000- $8000 Mullins stage 3 mod motor is $16500 look it up. When racing trucks my biggest bill to freshen and put some upgrades in the motor was $950 with reground cam new pistons and headwork We ran in the top 5 consistantly.

Don Noffsinger

#19 double checkered

double checkered

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

My OPINION is this. Whatever the rules are, keep them. Don't make changes that force people to spend money to save money. And don't continue to make exceptions that allow the class to morph into something it never was intended to be. Stock cars WERE a budget minded entry level class. After many new rules that were created to make the class "better", you have limited late models on racing tires. (Please don't take that as a slap at the stock cars). Just stating that "innovators" will always push the limits of the rules. So if they are not enforced, it will get out of hand. There will always be someone better with better equipment. But if the rules are written that "this is what you can and can't do", you may not be able to afford all the good stuff first year out. But the guys with all the "good stuff" can't push the envelope the following year so you can invest a little at a time and be on the same level. I don't think too many people left the truck class for stock/mods/sprints because they felt outclassed. I would think that they wanted new opportunities in the next level of classes. The truck class is an entry level class so there will always be a revolving door with people coming and going. I was glad to see a handful of new trucks at the end of the year. Jeremy

#20 warwolf

warwolf

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Didn't quit here, because of not having a chance.

And, I believe that NEW COMPETITION will appear this coming year. Work Hard, good LUCK, BE VERY SAFE, and have FUN. That's what racing is about.... Winning is just a bonus.

sammie i raced only 4 time this year i got stock motor did not place heat race but i had fun win my kids were there too maybe next year were win a heat race next year lolol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users