• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Skull

Skull

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
  • Interests:I'm interesting

Posted 29 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

It's one of the worst racing wrecks I have ever seen, and it happened right in front of where I was sitting in the bleachers.

I think Harley was hurt. Wish dad was still around to ask, because he knew Harley personally.  I think that wreck basically ended his career in part because it upset his car owner to the point where he wanted out.

#22 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Life, Dirt racing, H-D, Golf, Corvettes, Street Rods.

Posted 29 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

Chuba was one lucky SOB we all thought the worst when we saw the car. I think that's when the pink panther came out with the professional built chassis the next year, to dang long ago can't say I truly remember. We where on the hill when Fran gower flipped it down the back stretch. When the dust had cleared his car ended up right in front of us. Nobody and I mean nobody saw the car coming. 3 more feet and the car would have been taking out people on the hill.

#23 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 06:05 PM

I think Harley was hurt. Wish dad was still around to ask, because he knew Harley personally.  I think that wreck basically ended his career in part because it upset his car owner to the point where he wanted out.

Skull you are correct. Harley lived near me, shit don't remember but he built a wicked ??? It was either a Plymouth road runner or a Buick grand sport. Boy it sucks to get old. Parkinson's starting to eat away at me. So I'm planning to move back north so I can get out and do the things I love. Weekly dirt racing and getting in a stream to do some fly fishing.

#24 flash49

flash49

No Life

• Members
  • 6,428 posts
  • Interests:auto racing of course

Posted 29 August 2020 - 06:11 PM

Chuba was one lucky SOB we all thought the worst when we saw the car. I think that's when the pink panther came out with the professional built chassis the next year, to dang long ago can't say I truly remember. We where on the hill when Fran gower flipped it down the back stretch. When the dust had cleared his car ended up right in front of us. Nobody and I mean nobody saw the car coming. 3 more feet and the car would have been taking out people on the hill.

The dust definitely contributed to the Miley-Chuba accident.  I believe this was a Sunday afternoon race in early April, and the track was REALLY dusty. 

#25 DavyLee2

DavyLee2

• Members
  • 3,369 posts
  • Interests:racing/music/billiards

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:55 PM

I think if Red were still alive, PPMS would be in much better shape.  Red was the businessman of the family, none of the others have his business ethic nor his public relations skills.  Every time I left Motordrome after Red took over, he was at the gate to shake my hand when I left. Just my opinion, since we'll never really know.

" Red was the businessman of the family , none of the others have his business ethic"  nor JUDY GOWER !!! She was the Beautifull face of PPMS and later or forever i dont know at Motordrome ! Kiss it goodbye after her and Red respectively for PR!! But there are not bigger racers and better track owners than the Blaneys .. and the Mileys  are racers too !

#26 Tommy

Tommy

• Members
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:42 AM

I didn't think Red was that much better. I could be wrong. I remember the top four late model in the points race around 1995 left PPMS for Challenger mid-season. That's both Wearings,Geisler, and Flinner.

Flinner and Geisler both got suspended for fighting. Also they both were following the NEWS series. I dont think the wearings were racing weekly either.

#27 FanJim24

FanJim24

Race Fan

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:30 AM

Flinner and Geisler both got suspended for fighting. Also they both were following the NEWS series. I dont think the wearings were racing weekly either.

I guess that explains it. Bobby was driving for Al Geisler at the time, so if Lynn was suspended Al probably just followed him to Challenger, and Bob went with Bobby. 

My dad drove late models in the early 70's at North Hills, Butler, Mercer, Blanket Hill, and occasionally Tri City. We won the last late model track championship at Blanket Hill. 

#28 Hans Solo

Hans Solo

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:34 AM

New Decade.............Same old feud!!!

#29 Skull

Skull

• Members
  • 4,715 posts
  • Interests:I'm interesting

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

Skull you are correct. Harley lived near me, shit don't remember but he built a wicked ??? It was either a Plymouth road runner or a Buick grand sport. Boy it sucks to get old. Parkinson's starting to eat away at me. So I'm planning to move back north so I can get out and do the things I love. Weekly dirt racing and getting in a stream to do some fly fishing.

Sorry to hear about your issues, it does suck (sometimes) to get old. Just keep busy man, better days are ahead.

#30 D1RT

D1RT

• Members
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

My mother has been battling Parkinson's for quite a few years.
Let me tell you CBD Oil has been a God send for her!
She has went from tremors so bad she could hardly hold a coffee cup to mostly very light to even non-existent some days.

#31 old man d

old man d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:09 PM

jo73  Keep on fighting don't give up. I also have health problems but i will fight every day i can. jo73 you'r in my prayers man. And D1rt i'll keep your Mom in prayer also.  Can't hurt.

#32 old man d

old man d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

D1rt i got your reply Thanks, i'll keep praying her and you. One of the things i like is how racing people kind of watch out for each other!

#33 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:52 PM

Thanks, I get out and do as much as I can. It sucks when you can't get a golf ball on the tee. But it gives me a reason to laugh and carry on.

#34 DirtxxxRacing

DirtxxxRacing

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:02 AM

I'm wondering what's so different this year from years past.  The track was bad again on Saturday.  The bottom was flooded, which caused a big wreck in the crates.  The middle to top looked like a cornfield the way it was coming up.  I don't know what any of the drivers thought of the rough part, but the way they keep flooding the bottom is a joke.  Earlier in the year, it wasn't a problem.  I think I remember most of the cars were running down there instead of against the wall like has been the norm the last couple years.  Why they can't seem to get it right lately is confusing.

#35 bhhracing

bhhracing

Insane Racer

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:05 AM

I'm wondering what's so different this year from years past.  The track was bad again on Saturday.  The bottom was flooded, which caused a big wreck in the crates.  The middle to top looked like a cornfield the way it was coming up.  I don't know what any of the drivers thought of the rough part, but the way they keep flooding the bottom is a joke.  Earlier in the year, it wasn't a problem.  I think I remember most of the cars were running down there instead of against the wall like has been the norm the last couple years.  Why they can't seem to get it right lately is confusing.

You must live under a rock when the whole area got over 2" of rain in less than 24 hours. You should just be lucky they raced as a lot of other tracks canceled.

#36 DirtxxxRacing

DirtxxxRacing

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

You must live under a rock when the whole area got over 2" of rain in less than 24 hours. You should just be lucky they raced as a lot of other tracks canceled.

I was there when the gates opened and the bottom wasn't flooded, they made it worse throughout the night.  Were you there?  

#37 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

They didn’t water the track all night. The bottom was flooded from 2” of rain overnight. They added dirt to the front straight to help with the dust during the week and sheep’s footed it 3 times. Not sure what else they could do given the weather. 

#38 DirtxxxRacing

DirtxxxRacing

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

Well, I'll admit when I'm wrong. I didn't see it flooded from the stands, and pictures I saw of the backstretch also looked dry on the bottom.  If they didn't water the track all night, why was it dry when I got there, then the crates all couldn't even get their cars moving come hot laps times?

#39 Racer17L

Racer17L

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

There’s a small berm at the bottom of 1 and 2 down by the guardrail. If a car jumps that berm and gets in the sitting water it can cause them to shoot up the track as we saw Saturday.  But it wasn’t the track crew flooding the bottom. It was Mother Nature. And quite honestly as a driver you can see the water. Not sure why you’d chance that on the first lap of the feature. Been there done that. 

Not sure about your hot lap comment but the track is always greasy for hot laps until some rubber gets laid down. 

#40 jo73

jo73

No Life

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:58 PM

My ??? is who is going to prep the track when the lucas oil boys come to town ? If they don't have somebody that knows what there doing it could get ugly real fast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users