• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#81 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:51 AM

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I think the tires would be the biggest sticking point.  If you want the Big 10 series, you have to run the Big 10 tires.  How many western pa teams are going to pony up another $150 for a set of tires for one race?

If you are trying to build a local division, and you plan to run the same rules as J-town and Motordrome, then to me bringing in the Big 10 series doesn't make a lot of sense, just added expense of different tires.

If you are only looking for a support division for the Super Cup races then if the Big 10 series says they have "x" amount of teams that will make the trip, then that may be the way to go. 

Two years ago, there were only one or two teams that came up to CNB while Motordrome was still racing.  All the Super Cup series races are scheduled for Saturday's, will the Western Pa teams travel to CNB or stay closer to home at J-town? 

In it's past life as an asphalt track, Clearfield never really drew many teams that ran J-town and Motordrome, not that I can remember anyway.  The economy is worse now than it was back then, so I don't really see that changing now, especiall since they will be running against J-town on Saturday nights.  So, I don't really know how concerned I would be making the rules a mirror image of westen pa rules. 

#82 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

Not sure what races you were at but for two races two years ago 70 % of the cars at cnb were from Motordrome- chargers/4cyl. And SS. Of this I am certain. L. Butler won; Aiello and Kostelnik and Brougher all won on those two nights. Late models the second night were pretty much all from Motordrome. Those guys WERE the show!

#83 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

Just to be clear- I don't have a 'dog in the fight' at all. I wish CNB well with whatever they do. I will primarily race Motordrome. It has been our home track for 12 seasons and will continue to be.

#84 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

You're right jmmr, but for the other races that year, they weren't there.  The point I was making is that while the motordrome season was still going on, the teams didn't travel up here, once their season was over out there then they did come up.  I'm not bitching about it, I was really glad those teams came up to put on a show. 

#85 snooky

snooky

Race Fan

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Bottom line is there are few if any asphalt teams in the area. Their only hope would be to allow duty car SS,and pure stocks to compete and over time convert to asphalt rules like Jtown n Motordrome. Even Ferd Wallace knew that to build fields. Also the poster that said there were no other dirt tracks running locally at the time was spot on. Too many tracks in area now for # of people and teams.

#86 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

I believe they could in fact get cars from all over to attend - lets say a 20 car count for SS. It would take a good bit of effort and would not be cheap for the track. Preregistration would be key. besides Drome where are local SS guys goin? Highly doubt Jtown will have more than 6 cars and drome I expect 10-13 weekly. In reality a lot of asphalt guys may be more interested in running special events... A lot of guys hate points racing. I have no doubt we could've been a 1 or 2 car in both SS and Chargers last year as we won abt 50% of the time we raced our two cars(thx. to A.K. Family who made it all possible)-points racin is too much $ and time-too few sponsors.  Guys like myself running limited schedules are increasing-I can pick and choose as we did last year. Why would we not pick big events IF they made it advantageous? Just a thought.

#87 The Legend

The Legend

No Life

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

That's why local racing is dying ..... People who can afford it don't feel like racing every week or at local shows. And they guys who want to race every week at local shows can't afford it.

#88 deadpush

deadpush

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

I believe they could in fact get cars from all over to attend - lets say a 20 car count for SS. It would take a good bit of effort and would not be cheap for the track. Preregistration would be key. besides Drome where are local SS guys goin? Highly doubt Jtown will have more than 6 cars and drome I expect 10-13 weekly. In reality a lot of asphalt guys may be more interested in running special events... A lot of guys hate points racing. I have no doubt we could've been a 1 or 2 car in both SS and Chargers last year as we won abt 50% of the time we raced our two cars(thx. to A.K. Family who made it all possible)-points racin is too much $ and time-too few sponsors.  Guys like myself running limited schedules are increasing-I can pick and choose as we did last year. Why would we not pick big events IF they made it advantageous? Just a thought.

#89 deadpush

deadpush

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

Having said the above, based on your experience as a car owner, what type of purse structure do you think it would take to get SS teams interested in running a few races at CNB?

#90 Just Wondering

Just Wondering

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

http://www.supercupstockcarseries.com

Read what is on their home page, they got it going on in these hard times.

#91 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

Purse structure- Id have to think but itd be comparable to Drome and Jennerstown+tow money-again paid out the same day. I LOVE Supercup and most things abt that series. Unfortunately the motors to be competitive in this class are expensive-like as much as a late models- they are dry sump setups. Its kind of out of line compared to other asphalt racing(not compared to dirt). We have a roller and no motor as we really like this class. The promoter seems like a great guy and the guys try to 'race' without destroying their cars. Their tire deal rocks as well-again though dropping 8-9k on a good new  motor is just high for our budget.

#92 Just Wondering

Just Wondering

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

What I was referring to about Super Cup is the way they do things.

They hold 7 or 8 races a year in a small area to limit travel.

Most traveling series run 14 or more races a year.

To much travel and to costly for these times.

Not sure about the motors.

They do rock. maybe someone can talk them into running a companion street stock race at CNB

#93 racer111

racer111

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

T-440 is correct about the "past life" at Clearfield...I believe T-440 is talking about when Ferd owned the track, and when the six gentlemen from DuBois owned the track and then when Russel and Bogacki ran it on their own...J-town and Motordrome cars definitely did not support the track, even when they ran a special on a different night.  Maybe they didn't like the tow, maybe they didn't like the track...but only a few cars would show up...at the same time there were late models towing from Ohio, New Jersey and eastern PA...

#94 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

We ran street stocks six years full time at Drome and one year pt. - last year just 4-5 bw drome and jtown. I personally never once ever received a flyer/info abt any races there prior to the last couple years and never was aware of any races there- or we would've at least visited the track as I often visited dirt tracks nights we didnt run. So what does that say- either your talking abt many years ago or getting the word out was seriously flawed. Sad to say there would've been no show at all had the locals from w.pa not showed.

#95 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

T-440 is correct about the "past life" at Clearfield...I believe T-440 is talking about when Ferd owned the track, and when the six gentlemen from DuBois owned the track and then when Russel and Bogacki ran it on their own...J-town and Motordrome cars definitely did not support the track, even when they ran a special on a different night.  Maybe they didn't like the tow, maybe they didn't like the track...but only a few cars would show up...at the same time there were late models towing from Ohio, New Jersey and eastern PA...

#96 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

We're you talking about late models or street stocks- I was primarily talking SS. I'm not as up to date on late models I will admit. As far as their support I can't really comment- I know the points fund appears to be an issue for this class as well as costs more so than others.

#97 714d

714d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

To clarify... The "past" I believe they are talking about is the era ending in the early 2000's. I know when I went to watch the most (in the late 90s) there weren't many cars from the other pa tracks. I wasn't involved as anything but a spectator, but I'm told by people who raced then that the rules were different from track to track. That kept some away. I don't know how well they promoted back then or if that had any hand in the lack of cars. The only time any different cars typically showed was for the iceman races. Those were good shows.

#98 racer111

racer111

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

I am talking Late Models and SS, as far as I can remember the rules were pretty much the same...we raced our SS and later Late Model at all three tracks...714d is correct as that is the time period that I and I believe T-440 are talking about...I can find out for absolute certain about the rules, but if they were different they weren't much different...Ramey 36 would know the answer to the LM rules for sure...

#99 ramey36

ramey36

Racer

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:Oval track, Pro-Touring, drag racing, motorcycles, anything fast.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

During the Iceman days, 1999-2000 or so, the super lates at CNB weren't compatible with Jtown and the Drome as both were in the 2-bbl era prior to that I believe. There was also the restrictor plate era in there somewhere.

I raced my 2-bbl interchangeably at Jtown in 2000-2003 with perhaps very similar (or exactly the same) rules.

Street stocks were also similar enough to travel but with racing on the same nights we rarely mixed. I did do a few Saturday Sunday things during specials and so on, jumping from CNB to Jtown.

Ramey Womer
womerracing.com
umipeformance.com

#100 racer111

racer111

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

Ramey36 - didn't Clearfield at one time run both a Super Late (4bbl) and also a regualr LM class (2bbl) at the same time? I think they did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users