CNB Raceway Park

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 racer111

racer111

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

I know that you are correct bigduece, however I think the problem is that now most of them don't trust the situation up there.

#22 thebigdueceduece

thebigdueceduece

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:13 PM

I totally agree. I couldnt imagine the investment having to be made to switch over and not know if the track would close next year...three years...whatever. I'm sure if someone owned a car and asked those old pavement drivers to drive...they would. But who, that owns a car would do that? And not many ppl have the money to just buy a car and put them in it...with out the worry of the cost. VSI for example. Maybe they will get a couple cars and put some drivers in them for the paved track haha

#23 Just Wondering

Just Wondering

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

I've looked at all the posting about CNB raceway over the last few years.

My question is.

What would it take for you to support CNB raceway?

Please keep it confined to CNB.

#24 deathpunch

deathpunch

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

For me to support cnb it needs to be dirt and a weekly show. Slm sprints etc

#25 thebigdueceduece

thebigdueceduece

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

I loved the pavement in its day. But logically it is to much for pavement to servive to have a race team switch over to pavement with out knowing the future of the place. I personally would support any surface up there....but to be successful...it either need a LOT of cars on the pave track to even break even...and let's be honest there are not many around anymore. OR they put the clay back on it. And put onsome of the best dirt shows around. We know baineys can do it. They have proven they can.

I personally don't care where they go with it. But...I think they would be beat surved if they put the clay on it and had specials every other week or other week. I hope they do. Ive always loved that track.

#26 thebigdueceduece

thebigdueceduece

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:09 PM

...and eventually working to a weekly show

#27 Just Wondering

Just Wondering

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thank you for your replies.

Next question,

If the track was so successful as a dirt track, why did they change it back?

#28 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

I personally don't think the track would survive as a weekly track, whether it was dirt or asphalt.  Weekly shows when it was dirt didn't draw any better car or fan counts than any of the other local tracks.  From a fans perspective, the dirt specials looked successful, but that is just perception.  There were plenty of fans, and car counts were usually good.  The two day shows were a bust in my opinion, the car counts struggled to hit 20 for those.  

I like the track, whether it is asphalt or dirt, and I try to make it to as many shows as I can up there.  For me, it is nice to have something different in the area, so I like the asphalt for a change of pace. 

#29 thebigdueceduece

thebigdueceduece

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

I agree...weekly shows weren't big. But I DO think they work specials and if they think they could work a weekly show than great. I always thought that ss special was awesome with the superlates. Great racing.

Again I'm not opposed to pavement...I'd like to see it work. But it will be hard without local support

#30 714d

714d

Race Fan

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

The dirt, specials only format was great. Last couple years were very successful from a fan/car count perspective. I would have to think the books looked good as well, but I don't do their accounting so I can't say. I can say that the surface was torn off because they personally wanted a paved track. I can't imagine it was because they thought it made sense from a business perspective.

As for what it would take to gain trust/support? A show with 3 classes, 20 cars in each. That's pretty unrealistic in this area. You can't start with nothing and build slow in this case. It will fail. I've seen 5 car fields run on that track. I'd rather sit on my deck and watch the grass grow.

#31 suhoney18

suhoney18

No Life

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

I can say that the surface was torn off because they personally wanted a paved track

dig ding ding....they had a "rough winter" where the track got rutted up in a few places (nothing a bit of clay wouldnt have fixed, i know because i walked the track that spring) and then they did absoutly nothing with it and just let it go, what did they think would happen? whats so funny is they said the dirt was just to much work to fix and a lot of time to put in with their scedules but then when they decided to go back to asphalt they had the whole track stripped and repaved in about a month :blink:

#32 Express Man

Express Man

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

Track has never been sucessful!  Thats why Ferd Walace paved it to start with!  And the fact his buddie James Hylton talked him into it!  Neither of those two Clearfield tracks have ever been able to survive for long...no matter what the surface or who the Promoter.  Wrong area!  Not enough fan support!  Wish it were different.

#33 T-440

T-440

A Sprint Car Dinosaur

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'm pretty sure the track wasn't re-paved.  The did re-do the pit lane, but the track itself only had the clay removed. 

#34 Just Wondering

Just Wondering

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

It seems from the comments that CNB can't make it on a weekly basis paved or dirt.

Another question.

What about using the special shows at CNB to help restart local divisions to get up and running again.

Wouldn't it be better to run four or five local races rather them none.

Times are still hard for racers and most can't race every week anyway.

#35 racer02

racer02

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

The track was not repaved. The current asphalt surface is the asphalt that hid under the dirt surface. Baineys had the dirt hauled away and cleaned up the existing asphalt.

#36 racer111

racer111

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

Correct track was not repaved...I would like to see it go to the top...NASCAR trucks...that would take very deep pockets, and more seating...however, I think trucks would be a big hit around here.

#37 thebigdueceduece

thebigdueceduece

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

I will say this. For as long as I been around...the best chance I've seen that place have was when baineys had dirt on it and raced specials. I love that track regardless but I would have to say there best bet would be dirt specials to start. Mix classes. And get driver thoughts/commitments if they were to run full time.

Pavement...that's another story. I don't see someone building a car for 5 races. And there aren't many other tracks to go to race at when cnb isn't racing...

The only reason I don't see someone to build a car for 5 races is that it is a complete unknown what the track will do...how long it will be open....and who is going to own it down the road. Let's be honest.. Consistency there is lacking. And no one can build for that particular track when the future is suspect.

#38 race ace

race ace

race ace

• Members
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:dirt track racer

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

i know better than to comment on these subjects yet i do anyhow. this is what is going to happen .....after a few races of nobody showing up there will be an announcement that due to work related reasons the  baineys cant run the track because the gas well commitments are to great , or a mouse chewed off a wire at the track .the last guy was handing out free passes and could not get a hundred people to attend, and as for your wish that a nascar truck race be ran there well look at the stands at any truck race on t.v .they are  always empty.putting dirt over the asphalt was good but also bad the water had nowhere to go to soak into the track it went down to the asphalt and ran into the infield and the track dried out because the moisture was laying in the infield .when you have a asphalt race there and the cars are lined up out to the highway and the cops have to come in and TELL you to open the gates someone call me i want to see it and yes this did happen when it was a dirt track .now next year go to any and i mean any dirt track around and walk up to the window and ask for your free passes and listen to them laugh at you ,i NEVER have heard even the worse  dirt track give away free tickets by the hundreds .once again i think everyone needs a place to go so i wish them luck ,but the long haul seems to not be so long at that place .

race ace

#39 jmmr

jmmr

Fast Newbie

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

I've seen many a dirt track in the last five years be nowhere near half capacity for a regular show- so maybe they should've gave away free tickets... An empty seat makes you nothing... It gets no new fans in the door and you make nothing from concessions- which CAN be extremely profitable. Motordrome in its heyday did 'carload' nights and the pennysaver had 'buy one get one' and the place was unbeleivably full. AND two years ago- giving away tickets seemed to work pretty well to bring people back to motordrome. im not saying you can sustain a track indefinately on it but it can be a step in the right direction. That logic is a bit flawed... Asphaly guys can race two different tracks within two hours all last year. The days of racing two nights a week are gone - getting paid from tracks is the newest enemy of asphalt racers. A third track for a limited pool of racers is tough- unless you pull out of state. The CNB track- I truly wish them success either way asphalt or dirt- I have no idea what the answer is.

#40 speedster101

speedster101

Cool Newbie

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:titties & beer

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:01 AM

Who are you talking about?

My guess is Tracy Potter the last late model track champion on clearfield asphalt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users